->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Kayaking & Fly Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:07 am 

Have been using the kayak a bit more often, with a six weight and sinking line have been trolling a small home made chartreuse and white clouser minnow with a lot of success. 10 pound tippet makes the action more fun. Mainly Trevally, One spot Snapper and the odd Queenfish. This EID break plan to kayak into deeper waters for Dorado,Tuna or Kingfish. Will see how it goes. What matters is the company and the great outdoors during these trips. Fishing is only part of the bigger picture. Here is sharing beautiful Oman and Muscat. Muscat has just been selected as the 2nd city in the world to visit after London by lonely planet...so heres to all Indian Anglers...you and your family are most welcome to Oman. We have a spare bedroom to stay.

Cheers!!!

Carlton

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a million Carlton! I will be there one day for sure! really nice pictures! seriously! I'm like spell bound to go there sometime! nice blue waters! thanks for sharing the pics! I never knew Oman could be such a heaven!

Regards,

Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the catches ,
Beautiful Pics thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Calrton,

Very lovely waters you got there.. Beautiful.

A friend of mine from Mumbai has done some popping in Oman. And some good action for GT's and Sails.

Maybe in near future I may come there with few Mumbai anglers.

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

what a beauty man.....i m speechless :-) :-)

congrats for your catch

manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 pm 
Fishaholic

beautiful pictures carlton. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:22 am 
Fishaholic

hey carlton, very cool indeed...thanks for sharing. a couple of questions :

1. were all fish caught while trolling or did you cast as well?
2. how deep was the water you were fishing in and how deep did you sink the line?

Post subject: Fly Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am 

Hey Bobby

Great to hear from you. Yes all fish were caught trolling. I have to still learn to cast from a sitting position in the Kayak. Most importantly need some space to keep a fly line together. Thinking of attaching the fly basket to the kayak. Any ideas welcome. The water is around 20feet. I can see the rocky bottom. The fish were caught in the middle column. Keep around 70 feet of line out. Tomorrow will be kayaking a deep waters. Around 100 feet. Will have an 8wt with a very large fly for dorado or tuna...the weather has been strange out here for the last 48hrs. Heavy rain and more rain expected...lets see how it goes.....always welcome

Carlton

Post subject: flyfishing Oman
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 am 

Hi Omesh,Lionheart,Santosh,Manish,Dr Aamir

Thanks for the wishes. Yes Oman is indeed a spectacular saltwater fishing destinations. Its got it all....more than 2000KM of costline. A kayaking friend of mine caught a 10KGS kingfish kust 4KM off muscat near a small island 3 days ago. He was using lures. I prefer to use large flies. We will be off tomorrow morning at 0600LT. Almost an hour of kayaking to the island and then some trolling for some giants.....dreaming of kingfish and dorado...ha ha ha...will use a steel tracer in front and an 8wt Sage Rod with matching 8wt fly line. There are some big hamour down there but almost impossible to lift them from the bottom.

Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Carlton,

Waiting for the report of your adventure. Wish you many good catches in advance.

The location seems great and the water is amazing.

keep on posting.

Regards,

Ali. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey there Carlton,
Hope you got back just fine. I would still put Muscat as number one in fishing in the middle east, followed by Doha. I've been in that kayak before and it handles very well. Try getting a small battery motor for it in case you go deeper in the sea, also a compass in the storage. It will also be good for emergencies. Its best to go in pairs, but could be difficult to find another kayaking buddy. Have you tried crazy charlies for queen fish?
Take care. 8)

Post subject: flyfishingoman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:15 pm 

Yes Adolph

Oman is indeed a spectacular place and yes you know the kyak as purchased same from your boss. It handles well. For long trips go with an Austrlian friend...Peter...he is an expert. On every trip learning new tricks on how to kayak correctly. Like double haul in fly fishing just learnt that you can kayak much better with both hands for one stroke...this means you pull with one hand and push with the other hand...absoluteley amazing. Have also learnt to reverse kayak especially when the current is pushing you towards the rocks...still lots to go...but use the kayak more often now...amost once a week...always welcome....we meet Zarita and family tonight for dinner at their place. Am not into the motor stuff as kayaking is all about your own energy and staying within the limits of what you can do...never underestimating the sea....will be posting another story...have a look

Carlton

Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch and nice location. Thanks for sharing the pics.