->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:32 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 pm 

This update is two trips over two days. The 1st few pictures are from day one of the trip. Left at 0600LT along with a friend Peter, Kayaking to an island (Fahal Island) 4.3km from our starting point. The sun was just starting to rise just behind us on our right. The water was perfect and not too much of waves....Once off shore we set up our lines. Peter trolls two rods with large lures as also one hand line with another lure..I trolled with just one 8wt rod and a six inch chartreuse and white clouser made at home the previous day. Reached the island in an hour and started skirting the left side (shaded side) of the island. Saw Peter casting one of his lures on my right. The water on this side of the island is quite calm and around 40ft deep. Peter had caught a 10KG king fish a few days previously. We had our hopes high. On full alert started kayaking along the island, waiting for that one savage pull......dreaming of huge dorado’s, kingfish and giant barracuda....but was not to be...the line was slack ...saw Peter in the distance kayaking and hoping for that one adrenalin rush. No Fish but had to head back. This was easy said than done...4.3KM back after almost 90 minutes of continuous kayaking is not that simple...especially if the wind is not in your favour...back we had to go....at time fingers stiff,,,,hands aching...stomach and feet cramping....as usual Peter was ahead with even strokes...me stopping almost every 10 minutes......after more than 90 minutes made it back to shore...thought my shirt was wet due to the sea water when in fact I was drenched with sweat.

Day two and decided to fish close to shore...along the rocky small hills that skirt the sea......struck something as soon as I set out from the bay and realized it was a nice juvenile barracuda....good omen...reached my favourite spot and immediately got into a lovely trevally....saw another kayak heading in my direction and realized it was Peter who was just returning from Fahal islands. The sea had roughed him up a bit....with no fish. He headed back home while I continued fishing for an hour. From time to time Trevally and One Spot Snapper on a small fly. Decided to call it a day and while kayaking back to base got one savage pull.....rod almost bending, (see two photographs) had to fight the fish for around 3 to 4 minutes b4 I was able to bring her up. A beautiful 1KG one spot snapper. Luckily I had changed my frayed tippet a few minutes earlier.

Cheers!!!!

Carlton
Getting Ready

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reaching The Island
[IMG]http

Small Baitfish on the right
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/seesmallbaitfishupperri.jpg/]Image

]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6755/gettingclosertofahalisl.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Coming Back
[IMG]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3456/peterreturningbackfromf.jpg

Rod Under Pressure...whats below
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/rodunderpressurewhatsbe.jpg/]Image

Still not willing to come up
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/stillnotwillingtocomeup.jpg/]Image[/URL]

One Spot Beauty
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/onespotbeautythatbentth.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Carlton, What a beautiful spot you have got. Lovely report and good fishes. The photo of feeding and fish jumping around is amazing.

Waiting for the day when we will be together and trying our luck with them Barras ans Gts.

:-) :-)

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice pictures :D ... thanks for sharing. :-)

angler_ali wrote:
Waiting for the day when we will be together and trying our luck with them Barras ans Gts. .

dost dost na raha.. :evil: .. what about me Ali.. :cry:

:lol: :lol: ..

Post subject: flyfishingoman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm 

Hi Ali Bhai & Santosh

The offer is open ended...always welcome to oman....the season is now until end feb....the weather for the past few days is quite strange....its drizling even now....will be heading south of Oman end of this month for one big trip for permit on the fly.......its the ultimate shore fish other than bonefish to get on the fly...a friend of mine has landed over a dozen...another has not landed even one after three years of trying....crab flies needed as also a lot of stealth and accuracy in casting the crab fly around fifty to sixty feet out....

Carlton

Post subject: Re: flyfishingoman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 pm 
Fishaholic

flyfishingoman wrote:
Hi Ali Bhai & Santosh

The offer is open ended...always welcome to oman....the season is now until end feb....the weather for the past few days is quite strange....its drizling even now....will be heading south of Oman end of this month for one big trip for permit on the fly.......its the ultimate shore fish other than bonefish to get on the fly...a friend of mine has landed over a dozen...another has not landed even one after three years of trying....crab flies needed as also a lot of stealth and accuracy in casting the crab fly around fifty to sixty feet out....

Carlton

Thanks for the offer carlton, one day we may actually land at your door. :D

Permit on a crab fly will be the ultimate target. :roll:

Till then.... Just practicing..

Santy.... We is plural and it does include YOU.... :wink:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 am 
Fishaholic

The first Pic is very Beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 am 
Fishaholic

Carlton,

Is this place towards the bar al jissa, where the local omani's take you out for a weekend trip???

Regards - DeZZ

Post subject: flyfishingoman
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 am 

Hi Dezz

The place you mention is also good but havent tried it out with the Kayak. Until now am not able to handle the Kayak on my own as a bit heavy to put on & off the vechicle. Need another person who then has to wait for me until I return. I have gone with a local Oman Boat and caught some nive hamour just below the Shangrila Hotel

The above place is a small private bay just beyond Crown Plaza. When you get out of the bay and head right you go towards PDO. Fahal Islands is 4.3KM from this bay.

You are welcome to Muscat anytime. Just let me know. Will PM you my contacts.

Fly Fishing is a great sport & once hooked is almost impossible to fish any other way

Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch. Congrats.