->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:22 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Everytime I go to my village in kolhapur, I have noticed a fish that nibbles at the dead skin at the heel of locals, definitely some kind of carp...
Here's the description:-
Eats dead skin off cattle and human's feet
near Shallow waters about 2-3 feet depth
Running river water
Estimated size : 1.5- 2.5 kgs
Body is wide and not elongated like a rohu or mrigal
scales colour and shade : unknown
Fish photograph :haven't caught it so couldn't photograph

Now, what kind of bait can one use for such fish (don't tell me, a human leg/dead cells, because that'll be a bad joke :wink: )

The possible diet of these fishes can be anyhting from things on the riverbed, moss on the rocks etc...

Any ideas on what we are dealing with guys ? and how to catch it ? :?: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

arre baba.. if your going to kolhapur.. go after the giant murrel there.. or mahaseer.. (not too many there but are there
in some dams)..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 pm 
Fishaholic

No no I am talking specifically about my village... I won't be going that far to the city to fish... Jab fish saamne ghar ke paas aake bol ra hain fish me fish me, toh how can I resist ? plus I'll be trying those two too(murrel and mahseer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Pierce your feet with small size hooks lets say some 200 hooks and then lower your feet carefully in water and wiggle it slowly. This trick should work :) Let me know if it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

I knew it !!! Thats why Put up that thing in the Bracket there ! :twisted: jokes aside...I am serious about catching that fish dezz...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 pm 
Fishaholic

i knew it.. desmond just cant resist it.. hahaha... his middle name is "heckler" hahaha.. on a serious note .. rakesh.. try putting atta paste on fine hooks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

Your narration sound like some sort of carp.
Try with worms.
1.5 to 2.5 kgs!!!!!! that is quite big.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am 
Fishaholic

Most fish will turn onto whatever food sources are available. You could try a bit of prebaiting with just a small handful of cooked rice or mashed bread every evening for a week or so and then fish a grain or two or a bit of bread-flake on a very small hook, along with the freebies.

BTW. The sliced bread sold in India is great for loose feed but rubbish for hookbait. However the pau buns sold by the fast food hawkers are beautifully soft and make great hookbaits if you tear a piece of flake out of the middle.

Post subject: Dear,
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22 pm 
Enlightened

If u r looking foe mulley try to use chicken intestine in ur hook or goat lever locally called kaleji plzz try and then u will got the result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi darryl,
Don't know if atta will work... the current of the river there a little strong, even though the water is till waist level... atta would just simply wither away...

Hi Ravi,
Yes I am thinking that too...Its probably a kalbouse or might be a carnatic carp... its not that shy as the area has people washing their clothes, bikes and cattles... so its used to the noise and commotion...plus when it nibbles at your feet, you really feel the bite... like if you are not used to the nibbling, you would jump out of the river and run... worms might work. will try thanks...

Hi Ken,
Prebaiting may or may not work as the current is there in that part of the river... still, will try and see if it works...
That is an Ingenious idea Ken !!! you mean like tear a pav and scrape out the insides for hookbait ! and as pav are a staple diet to the locals, the fishes might be getting that too on a regular basis ! thanks a lot :D

Hi Irfaan,
Don't know if their are mulley there... will try these if I find any trace of them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

:)

Try the slimy moss if you find some around. Use some smaller hooks.

This should help. Else try some boiled corn.

Let us know the results

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks dezz... :)

will try in june when I got there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

I once watched an old boy fishing (ant catching) using algie scraped from rocks.
He used a wire brush to get it and then wrapped it around his hook.
I've always fancied giving it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 pm 
Fishaholic

in england in bygone days of yore, they used to collect streamer moss from small waterfalls and just fold it over the small hook and trot it on a stick float down the river letting the flow drag your bait along

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:31 pm 
Enlightened

I have myself caught any number of Kalabans (Labeo calbasu) from the Lakhya river (hence my call sign) using moss wound over a hook. The tackle was a paternoster rig set so that the hook woul be Horizontal in the current about a foot above the bottom i.e. the length from the swivel (I used one to tie the hook llink and the lead to) dto the lead was about a foot long. Look for structure under water. Fish using a 12 or more foot long float rod with a fine soft tip or a quiver rod by lowering the bait from the rod tip and the bites will register as atremble or rapid rat-a-tat on the tip. Strike and hold and take the strain on the rod or you will lose the fish in the structure as often you will fish right inside a tangle of sunken tree branches or whole trees!

Incidentally I never caught anything big - 500gms to 1.5 kg. but I have seen bigger ones landed.

Best of luck.

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 am 
Fishaholic

hi Ken,
that also works but the moss disintegrates when it stays in the water for a minute or too, whereas the streamer moss that Mr. trancer said is almost string like, and stays on the hook...

Mr trancer,
Excatly the thing I do here :)

Thanks a lot lakhyaman :D that is the stuff I needed thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 am 
Fishaholic

do you know raka an old englishman once told me that to understand fish you should watch the birds..
if you throw food out in the feild then the first to feed are the little birds and as they feed confidently bigger birds come in and depending if you have fed enough the BIG birds come..
so do similar in your rivers and streams... feed little and often and as the current takes your offerings downstream the fish will follow it upstream to the source of the food and to where your baited hook is waiting...

Post subject: My fabourite fish
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 pm 
Fishaholic

raka wrote:
No no I am talking specifically about my village... I won't be going that far to the city to fish... Jab fish saamne ghar ke paas aake bol ra hain fish me fish me, toh how can I resist ? plus I'll be trying those two too(murrel and mahseer)
This is the Nylonytikka fish Called in westbengal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

hope you catch the fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi trancer,
I have tried that and it works, but moreover the fish in my village are more used and accustomed to the time, when the cattle come for a swim or a drink... thats like prebaiting. and it works

Hi biltu,
Whats that ? Nylonytikka fish ?

Thanks michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm 

Hi Bro,why dont U try prebating the area with rice husk powder or pellet mixed with cow dung.You can stuff the mix in a cloth bag or a sock and stick it under a stone rock or let it dangle by a line tied to anything that's available.

Out here we get parrot green kind of algae along with the regular dark green ones which are slimy to touch but these are not.Try using them as a bait and they don't break either.They usually grow around pools of water which seems stagnant but move very slowly...Out here we call it seewla not aware of their Botanical name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi samiip,
Prebaiting is not an option cauz I dont stay that long in my village... I know about the algae and am planning to use it the next time I go fishing to my village...