->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:18 pm 
Fishaholic

If you want to catch huge catla fishes you must use this bait.

Ground Bait: butter & Mustered oil cake mixed
Hook Bait: Bread, Elachi Powder, Honey, Ghee

Then add some ants egg

use just 1 hook or 2 hook setup with feeder rig...

Last edited by biltu308 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Biltu,

I have tried almost every thing(except ant-eggs) you have mentioned ; But never got success with a Catla. I always get either Rohu or Mrigal .
As it is difficult to get ant eggs can you suggest something in place of ant egg.

Thank you

fish4fun
love fishing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm 
Fishaholic

will termite eggs work as well as ants eggs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 pm 
Enlightened

i dont mean to generalize this method but i have had success with the feeder plus the pop-up rig on catla. i also noticed that catla are more active during summers alone.

tightlines
mchishi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm 
Fishaholic

4 to 8 hooks ???? :shock: :shock: Dude, you can catch the fish with a two hook set up.. Jhuppies are a very sad way of catching the fish and in most cases you are going to foul hook the fish.. I would elaborate on this but as most Bong anglers would know, when you use Jhuppie, you invariably will hook the fish under the mouth or at the side of it.. Not to mention if the fish breaks your line (and I have seen this happen several times), it dies a very slow death due to starvation..

I remember an instance wher,e in one of the lakes, a dead katla was found floating on the surface of the water.. When the locals brought the fish to shore, it was a monster.. It tipped the scales just shy of 35kgs.. This fish, mind you, died of starvation.. And how ? There were a set of Jhuppies (6 hooks) that had sealed its mouth.. Some crappy angler couldn't manage the fish and in all probability it broke the line only to find a worse fate...

Am sorry if I come on a bit strong, but that's my opinion...

BTW, you recipe is good and I have seen a lot of people use it..

Tight Lines, my friend,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:43 am 

Nice post Gavin. Totally agree with the Jhuppie hooks being an irresponsible way of angling.

But i guess many people do not follow responsible angling practices, and its hard to explain it to them. Many believe that if a fish got away, the fish will live no matter how much it is damaged or how it is hooked.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:07 pm 
Enlightened

@biltu- y sand??wat is reason to use sand dude?

@mchishi- i have some doubts reg pop up...
Do we need any cent or attractant for pop up?or simply cork can be used as just float as a bait?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 pm 
Fishaholic

the hook bait is the most essential:

use sattu laddu bait or sooji laddu bait with special multiple hook rigs..

Last edited by biltu308 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Biltu,

Is there any dire and absolute need for using 8 hooks to catch a fish ??

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Dear Biltu,
Is there any dire and absolute need for using 8 hooks to catch a fish ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one!

Tight lines GRC!

Dear Bitu,

Kindly try being kind to fish!

Regardless,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 pm 
Fishaholic

If the tackle is good, there is no need for multiple hooks... Guys, please dont use multiple hooks even if you are fishing for pot, because if the line snaps during a fight, what Gavin mentioned earlier will happen... Using a single hook is the best way to angling/fishing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 pm 

The average Bengal angler's mindset is a little different to other anglers.
I don't mean any offense towards anybody but i shall try to explain.
I have been away from the angling scene for long time and one of the main reasons I came out of retirement was this forum.
I have started fishing again and this time round I'm making it a fair fight.
It is easy catching a Catla or Silver on a 6 to 8 hook Jhupi.(been there done that) Most of the hook bait here in Bengal is pretty much the same with little variations, but I have found recently that Suji works wonders.
In Bengal there are not many places that practice Catch & Release.
Angling in Bengal is paying 500 to 1000/- per day on what they call a pass lake. Here you find 30 to 40 Anglers battling, often less that 5ft from each other. In this sort of scenario Its all about catching fish any way you can.
I have been to 4 such pass lakes since my return, only using Feeder rigs sometimes with pop ups. On the first three outings I scored what Bengal anglers fondly refer to as DANDA.(Zero). When the teams next to me were dragging in 2kg Silver carp sometimes hooked in the belly I was tempted to return to the tried and tested approach but I didn't.
On my last trip I got a couple of Mrigal on the feeder rig, nothing large but I am happy that Im on the right track.
To all my Bengal brothers please give the fish a chance! and if you are not using a spinning reel please try one at least.

Regards Ashim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:46 am 

Nice post Ashim, deep respect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 pm 
Fishaholic

one hook is enough to catch fish, what was the logic in using 8 hooks, next will come a post of catching fish with 12 hooks. :twisted: when will it end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 pm 
Enlightened

The original idea was to provide a much larger bait with all the baits on each hook being rolled into one ball. It always ran the risk of morphing into a foul hooking method and has done so. It is much better to use a method feeder to concentrate hook bait and a large attractive ball of bait in one place. Incidentally, I am a Bengal angler but have never subscribed to the theory that the object of angling is landing fish any old how! I use one hook normally and very rarely two hooks (when I am using the traditional Bong method).

Ashim, just using a spinning reel isn't the thing. I use spinning, multiplier, fly reels, each as is appropriate to the method I happen to be using.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:35 pm 

Obviously you do not fall in the average bracket. My words were directed at those anglers from West Bengal who still use 1:1 conventional reels, with brutal tactics. Since you do not, good on you.
Most of the angling done in West Bengal is lake fishing and a fixed spool reel is adequate.

Regards Ashim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 pm 
Enlightened

I agree with ASHIM. But if the angler wants to throw the sattu-bait to a pretty good distance(nearly 30-40 metre or more)he has to use minimum 6 big hooks.Because the sattu bait is mainly dust and 6-8 hooks can tightly hold it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 pm 

@Subhadip You are right about the ladu being as dry as possible so that is creates a cloud of particles quickly, but a properly made Feeder Rig is capable of holding the same mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm 
Enlightened

KATLA'S BAIT :
gram Powder and corn powder Mixed (50:50)
Aromatic Cooked rice
Coconut Milk
Pure Ghee
Sweet (Sugar or any Sweets)
Coconut oil
Some Elachi, javitri and methi paste (dont use much)
COCONUT DUST
FENNEL SEED
KANGLA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 am 
Fishaholic

Just to add on what Ashim posted:

A couple of months back, I had visited a public lake with a good friend of mine..

While everyone in the lake was fishing with a three rod set up and more, with a minimum 6 hook per rod set up, I settled down with a two rod-two hooks per rod set up.

While they threw baits one size smaller than the Allies gift to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I was contented with my smaller baits..

While the others sneered and laughed at my approach, I sat under a mild sun and enjoyed the clear country air..

While the others caught fish that would fit in the size of my palm, I reeled in a 3.5kg katla.

While everyone slogged under the midday sun to recover the money invested in catching fish, I slept under a banyan tree while my friend had a dip in the lake.

While I went home happy and contented, their were cursing having paid so much money for nothing..

Dear Ashim - while I agree with you on so many points, however them Bong anglers trying to justify their 8 hooks set up just because they spend 500-1000 bucks a day for fishing, I don't agree.. It would be easier for them to go to the market and buy the fish for a lesser price.

But then that's my opinion...

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:00 am 

I totally agree with you Gavin but what I failed to mention is, pride, ego, bragging rights, what ever you want to call it, plays an important role in the thinking process.

Regards Ashim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

@ Ashim - I agree with the bragging rights and ego playing a part, but I guess its more to do with mentality then anything else.. Most of the anglers I have seen and met are very suspicious of others and even more jealous when their counterparts catch a fish.. The name of the game as far as they are concerned is "more hooks, more chances of catching a fish"..
I find it a pleasure in catching fish in front of such anglers and running their noses into it .. Sadistic, isn't it :lol: :twisted:

@Subhadip - Let me have the privilege of sharing a bank side with you and I shall attempt to cast a laddu bait on a two-hook set up to a distance on par of the other anglers.. I have done it a couple of times, and am confident that I can do it again..

Once again, I am not trying to step on people's toes here but just trying to put across my opinions..

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 am 
Fishaholic

@gavin.... casting with hand against casting with rod....not fair :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

single hook or multiple hooks matters only when we practice catch and release. here in bengal , nobody is catching fish to release it back. moreover in case of line break, single hook is equally fatal.
for sattu bait multiple hooks is a must to hold it together otherwise why would anglers go through the pain of broken thumb nails. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Us Bong anglers will spend a 1000 bucks a day to fish, but we won't invest in a decent rod and reel.. we are happy driving our Ambassadors around, if you know what I mean :shock: :shock: :roll:

With regards to line-breaks, it will happen 99 times out of a 100 in our Bong special set up, because there is no play for the fish, as compared to a casting rod and reel..

On a personal note, I haven't lost a fish through a line break since the last 10 years thanks to the casting set up. Am not sure if that would be the case if I had used the primitive set up that most anglers here in Bongland use.

Also most lakes across Bongland are banning the use of the laddu bait because of various reasons, and I believe that its a step in the right direction and I fully support it.. Lets see how many people can catch catlas without the laddu and call themselves Ustaad..

BTW, Peter aren't you also using a casting set up :wink: :wink:

Tight Lines & Screaming Drags,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 pm 
Fishaholic

This post seems interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

I had gone through this situation once. I had bought a three hook jhuppi rig just for the sake of keeping different types of rigs.
I was fishing in a govt pond (angling restricted) and was catching a lot of small fish for a year. I heard that there were a lot of big rohus and catlas there. I decided to use that 3 hook jhuppi (we call it bardhaman kata). I simply used bread as bait and covered those three hooks with the bread bait. Within minutes of casting the bait with the hooks the reel was screaming. I set hooks on the fish properly with a good fight. Later when i retrieved the line the fish turned out to be a very big turtle. I couldnt take the hooks out of that turtle and had to cut the line. Later i felt so bad that i promised not to use multiple hooks for fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Here is one nice story from my side,
In my vicinity I worked hard to form an angling association with local anglers,
We took a big lake on lease...introduced some nice no of fishes,
I have tried to convince the others regarding catch and release, cheap carping outfits, clean ground-baits and baits,

I was frustrated only to find out that members are catching every single fish and taking them home,
They fish with their friends alongside...in a members only pond,

I quit carping in frustration...vowed never to fish for carps again,

Sometimes I go back in that lake to practice my cast, improving my shoulder and all.

This is my story with bong anglers,

Everyone from bong brethren...take initiative to educate these people
See if you can make a little difference at least...unlike I failed big time :-(

Regards,
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am 
Fishaholic

Apoo,

Those hooks are really made in Bardhhaman district in west bengal

Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

guys, instead of thanking Mr Biltu and Mr Subhadip for their invaluable contribution and disclosing such close guarded secret recipes, we are pointing fingers on their personal fishing methods. i believe its ones own personal choice how to go about it. moreover transition from traditional methods to modern methods can only be inspired when newer methods can manage to catch more fish(which i seriously doubt with all those numerous secret recipes floating all around) . so what is the solution to reduce the agony of the lost fish ?
from my observation most of the fish are lost due to line-break and it happen because of the fact that anglers here seldom use more than 10-12lb line (longer cast requires thinner line). so on our part the best we can do is is to show them that .30mm mono having 20lb strength are available in the market . i believe they will readily accept this suggestion since it will give them a better chance of landing the fish(i have already converted quite a few old timers) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Peter,

Nobody has gone after their fishing methods.. In fact his input has been appreciated by the members here.... However, what I have tried to highlight is that desired results can be reached by using a single hook or a two hook set up.
While I agree its a personal choice on how you want to fish and that is essentially what separates us sport anglers from other fishermen, I believe that advocating the use of jhuppi is not called for..

My friend, Peter - To take you up on the line strength, I have seen people land double figure fish on 10lb line on several occasions.

My main beef here is that while us Bong anglers have arguably the best spot in the country for fishing, we fail to utilise it to its maximum. Instead we fight and squabble over petty issues.. A little conservation goes a long long way.
But not all Bong anglers are the jhuppi gang, I know a lot of anglers who have converted (for want of a better word :lol: ).

Dear Biltu & Subhadip- apologise once again if the thread has not gone the way it was meant to, however just wanted to put a point across.. Once again, thanks for the recipe and I will try it out soon.. BTW, you are welcome to be my guests at Fort William Angling Club anytime you feel..

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject: Using jhoopies
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

if u use sattu bait u must use jhoopies... but otherwise use 2 hooks.....

Last edited by biltu308 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

First up, Relax on the jhuppie else you may get a few hooks into you.. I don't see any base on which you claim that without using jhuppies you cannot be professional anglers..

Dude - you are not an angler if u use Jhuppie.. I catergorise you as a meat-collector.. and that is one notch below poaching.
While you are set in your ways of using multiple hooks and claim that it is impossible to use laddu bait with 1-2 hooks, then my friend, I can safely say that you are no professional angler.. If you want a demonstration of professional anglers and true sportsmen, I invite you to share a bank with me or any other IA member on this forum.
I know that if I fish with 10-12-14-16 hooks, I will hook a fish but can you sir, catch a fish with 2 hooks or even 1 ?
And I don't see how anyone can call themselves a professional angler when they are well aware that their methods cause pain to the fish..

I am normally a nice guy, but sometimes there are a few posts that get me going.. This is one of them..

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:23 am 
Enlightened

GRC

Completely agree with you. If you want to be a sporting fisherman use one hook. If you want to get a large bait ball out to the fish use a method feeder. Google it up and and google phow to use it.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey GRC i think u need to reconsider your invitation to bitu! :twisted:

Post subject: I agree all of u
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes i agree whatever you say. but i had never force anyone to use jhoopies. i just share the Methods of "Laddu Bait" ... if didnt use them u must have rights to using 1-2-3-4 whatever even no hooks just line and rod... :evil: :evil:

Last edited by biltu308 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:40 pm 
Fishaholic

it is really surprising to see such sharp reactions regarding using multiple hooks(though i am not advocating jhuppies) .
most of us use crankbaits which has two treble hooks(means 6 single hooks) , line breakage happens there also and fish is sure to die if crankbait remain stuck there in their throat . why nobody use single tail hook in their crankbaits. it will be much more fish safe..isnt it?
i wonder why nobody care to talk about ethics and moral when it comes to crankbaits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif] [smilie=happydance.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

rod n reels wrote:
most of us

who us?..... me? no sir only if its on a lure.... otherwise bait fishing in the sea is also only one hook.

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

more over even in a treble hook only one hook pierces the fishs mouth! all six hooks dont go in, and very rarely does it go all the way down to the throat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

@omesh .... dont you find its unethical to use so many hooks in your lures?... by the way crankbaits are artificial swim baits made of plastic or wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm 
Fishaholic

@omesh ...ask any mahseer angler ...they will tell you how deep these golden mahseer swallow it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:32 pm 
Fishaholic

@rod n reels sorry if i hurt your sentiment in anyway with regards to the use of jhoopies I know most bongland anglers swear by themm. I'm not saying its unethical to use neither am i saying do not use. All i'm saying is when there is a possibility to still catch fish with other innovative techniques and a single or at the most double hook set up, I guess a responsible person would opt for the latter, however thats just my thinking, to each his own.

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 am 
Fishaholic

I was buying hooks for my stickbaits peter...
One good friend advised me to buy large single hooks instead of trebles,
I'll be using those only in my future trips :-)

Much easier to release the fish

Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 pm 
Fishaholic

saiki....if you are changing treble to single hooks in your stickbait than you are genuinely concern about fish . not many people do that including me . say later on if you want to switch back to treble give me a call , i know a guy who keep 6x hooks :wink:

Post subject: About Jhoopies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 pm 
Fishaholic

its ur choice .... using jhoopies or use single hooks (I think its OLD IDEA). whatever i noticed in my pond's that 90% fishes able to open up the jhoopies to there mouth. if u didnt like jhoopies u hve the right to use single hooks. but aur area ........... lots of Anglers using jhoopies successfully & i am also use jhoopies (6 - 12 hooks) successfully.
So u deciede to stuck some OLD & boring idea or get a new JHOOPIE IDEA......... Think.....Think.........Think..........

and yes.... Line breaking? I use 12lbs Climax Monofilament line and got highest 9kg rohu..... and my line never broken. i think Line Breaking problem is for those who didnot handle the fish rightly or who always think "he was the no 1 Angler in the world"...

Last edited by biltu308 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Biltu,

Nobody is blaming you here,
But fishing doesn't always mean that you have to get the biggest fish outta water and take that catch home,
It's about going places, friends that you make, quality time that you spend along,

You said you pulled out a 9 kg rohu...ever wondered why we don't have a 50-60 lb rohu or katla in our ponds or lakes?

I fish as it is my dearest hobby...never thought of becoming the world record holder or catching the biggest fish.
Please go through the post of Gavin...he has summed them up quite well,
Instead of fisherman try to become a gentleman angler...

Regards,
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm 
Enlightened

Congrats Biltu, great upload the photos.

Dear All,

Please do understand we all do fishing as a hobby & it is a part of Sports.
There ate different menthod of fishing & the style is adapted by each person.

Previously(30-40 years ) back there are lot of big fishes & our grandfathers & fathers have feast of it but now the quantity of fishes has reduced drasticall & we all the anglers are at stake as all the ponds are covered n highrises came.

I am from Hoogly dist & have also seen people using a 18 & 26hooks (I have kept 1pc each to show it to my frnds), its all about human psychology.

On the other hand I have also seen a person cathing giant catla with two hooks.
Its mostly about the two words as a renouned angler at 90's said- you required a prapti jog & the fish required a mityu jog,then only u can catch a fish---jst joking

You also need need to take care mostly the bait you are using & are of what type-dry or sticky & the hooks.

Dont go for more is better concept

Make it the best & sure you will catch fish.After all its your experience that will make you to win over the fish. Just learn from your faults.

Happy Fishing
Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Its good to see that the Bong anglers are commenting here.. :lol: :lol:

Dear Biltu - which are these pass lakes that you visit ??

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:31 pm 
Enlightened

I love to use bread bait(sada top).because its easy to use, requires less money(compared to sooji/sattu), u can use minimum 2 hooks easily, and after all it dosen't effect the pond water...