->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Murrel at Khadakvasla
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

The delayed onset of the monsoon, gave us anglers another chance to hunt for Murrels. So the Punheri Macchimaar Associates headed out to the Khadakvasla Dam for a try. No luck on the Pump House side as the NDA authorities have fenced off the entire stretch. So we tried our hand at the Khudge village side. No luck, so we relocated to the other side. Driving along we passed a small little stream & Darryl screamed "HALT, HALT". So we stopped. Next we tried all our camouflage & concealment tricks to sneak up to the stream side. Frogs & Mepps spinners were tried & I got a good strike. Fight for a minute or so, landed a small Murrel. Guess that's the end of the Murrel season at Pune.

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z47 ... %20Murrel/

Regards,
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:21 pm 
Fishaholic

beautiful murrel... congrats again col (the current murrel king of pune) "Mera number kab aayega ?" :cry:

Anyways, here's the pic...

oops ! the image is too big to be shared in the forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch. Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Good for the season's last catch, hope you released him to catch him in the next seasons to come. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:04 am 
Fishaholic

congrats on the murrel.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

the murrel look very small and puny compared to the last 2 you caught! none the less its not a Tilapia so its reason enough to be real happy! cheers murrel king of pune! ;)

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

col.sahab.. it was more like .. wtf!!! stop stop stop!! hahaha..! wait till the rains and try the mouth.. should get small mahseers.. and some murrel too. all the best.

omesh.. heard from some locals, that you caught murrel too.. a palm sized one on earthworms.. congrats.. if you can get some grubs (larva) of the dung beetle, called ghooiya, over here.. you can get the bigger ones.. at the same place you get yours.. ciao.

Post subject: congrats
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats on the lovely catch.waiting for many more to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 am 
Fishaholic

hamour wrote:
if you can get some grubs (larva) of the dung beetle, called ghooiya, over here.. you can get the bigger ones.. at the same place you get yours.. ciao.

Now this is when I start thinking angling can get as insane as it does!....... Most bongs swear by ant eggs and I've never ever seen them!!!!..... Now I need to look for the larva of dug beetle called ghooiya! it sounds as though your calling ghoo in marathi like ghoo hya real fast..... kidding...... now if you may be as kind enough and also let me know where I can find this ethereal substance so I can try and catch a bigger murrel! if not this have you ever seen or know where to find ant eggs..... after catching the murrel I'm not so keen on hooking one unless ts bigger or say atleast 2 kgs but what I am keen on is hooking a good carp from the river which has a current and can't keep a feeder in it and I've heard ant eggs when mixed with bait create the effect for them carps! so hoping on getting some inputs there..... its been sometime we went fishing..... lemme know if your up to hitting a water body sometime.....

and btw whoever told you it was palm sized must be some giant as I'm six feet tall with long hands and the fish was an inch close to my elbow when its mouth was on the tip of my index finger...... I'm sure that's a lot more than an average palm size.... but then again..... I'm not so affluent with fishing terminology as such..... newbie so..... maybe any fish unless considerably big is referred to as palm size...... or maybe the guy who told you was just jealous, I don't know who he is and neither do I wanna say anything that might sound offensive to a fellow angler.......... none the less most stories have many sides to them and we never know whom to believe unless we sit down to discuss..... and your one of the most busy men I've know so..... do lemme know if your upto hitting a water body for some fishing sometime.

Regards,
Omesh

Last edited by Omesh.Moorjani on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Guys. Agreed it was a small Murrel, but the dilemma was in getting it out of the water as I was perched 10 ft above the water level on a rock. Thanks to Darryl, we were able to yank it up without the 6 lb line snapping.
We will hit the spot again after the rains looking for the legendary but extremely elusive Khadakvasla Mahaseer. The Angling Gods have been very benevolent this year sending some murrels my way after years , Hope they send a few Mahaseers also. Inshallah !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

go to a gaothan (cowshed) or buffalo shed.. and in the old dung the dung beetle lays its egg.. which becomes the larva. (grub) .. there are a few gaothans near the place you went to.. ant eggs ..you can get from a bengali chap in ghorpuri gaon.. between the two railway crossings.. i dont know his exact location in ghorpuri gaon. you'll have to search for him..

yep have been busy with work , new placement and being out out of town and fishing in between whenever i got the chance.

besides i did send a invite earlier about 2 mths back to raka,nirupan and self.. but y'all chose otherwise.. anyway.. wont be able to go anywhere now .as im out of town at the moment.. in b'bay.

another sure shot for carps.. are maggots.. if you are willing to make them.. since you have reared worms .. you should'nt mind.. take a plastic box with deep sides.. put in a slice or two of bread.. and pour in just enough milk to partly cover and soak the bread.. keep the same in your baclony.. the flies will do their part buy laying eggs.. you have to wait for 4 to 5 days..then you will see the maggots( fly larve) now you have to pick em off the rotting stuff....( use a tweezer)from here what you can do is use some and the rest put in plastic bags .ie. ziplock bags in the fridge ..not freezer.. this will slow the growth process.. you will be able to use em for a week i suppose .. some will die .. some will be alive .. some will become casters.. i.e. cocoon stage.. all can be used.. to use them u need a wire hook .. tar gal (in hindi) the thin black one.. u will have to thread the butt/aft end of as many maggots (hence the head/fore side will be facing out) onto the hook.. and use a simple ledger rig in the current.. if this wont catch em carp.. i dont know what will.. btw.. if your successful withthe rearing .. you can sell some to the eager chaps.. and fund the maggot process .. for the entire monsoon season. cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

hamour wrote:
go to a gaothan (cowshed) or buffalo shed.. and in the old dung the dung beetle lays its egg.. which becomes the larva. (grub) .. there are a few gaothans near the place you went to.. ant eggs ..you can get from a bengali chap in ghorpuri gaon.. between the two railway crossings.. i dont know his exact location in ghorpuri gaon. you'll have to search for him..

yep have been busy with work , new placement and being out out of town and fishing in between whenever i got the chance.

besides i did send a invite earlier about 2 mths back to raka,nirupan and self.. but y'all chose otherwise.. anyway.. wont be able to go anywhere now .as im out of town at the moment.. in b'bay.

another sure shot for carps.. are maggots.. if you are willing to make them.. since you have reared worms .. you should'nt mind.. take a plastic box with deep sides.. put in a slice or two of bread.. and pour in just enough milk to partly cover and soak the bread.. keep the same in your baclony.. the flies will do their part buy laying eggs.. you have to wait for 4 to 5 days..then you will see the maggots( fly larve) now you have to pick em off the rotting stuff....( use a tweezer)from here what you can do is use some and the rest put in plastic bags .ie. ziplock bags in the fridge ..not freezer.. this will slow the growth process.. you will be able to use em for a week i suppose .. some will die .. some will be alive .. some will become casters.. i.e. cocoon stage.. all can be used.. to use them u need a wire hook .. tar gal (in hindi) the thin black one.. u will have to thread the butt/aft end of as many maggots (hence the head/fore side will be facing out) onto the hook.. and use a simple ledger rig in the current.. if this wont catch em carp.. i dont know what will.. btw.. if your successful withthe rearing .. you can sell some to the eager chaps.. and fund the maggot process .. for the entire monsoon season. cheers.

Now thats the Darryl I know! thanks a ton for the info! maggot making procedure in progress.... the rain has come and some more will before the weekend which means a decent current I hope! thanks for the info!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 am 

nice catch cavalier.

congrats!

Last edited by jiggs on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 pm 
Fishaholic

jiggs .. please risize the pic.. its too big..

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

Darryl,

At least the fish looks bigger . :D :D :D :lol: :lol: