->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:40 pm 
Enlightened

Greetings to ALL Gurus and members of the IA Forum,
I am a Malaysian now based in Chennai looking for members of the IA forum to introduce me to fishing in Chennai . I am hoping for any members who can tag me along for their activities as well as sharing of information on the type of fishing done in Chennai and while sharing of knowledge too.
I have done types for fishing known except Deep Sea heavy Jigging, Popping and quite a beginner in lure casting (still not good with the baitcaster).
As for the reels, I have a Alutechnos 20, Avet sx, Abu Garcia 6500 Big Game multipliers and Shimano Axis 100 baitcaster.
Spinning reels being Daiwa Freem Kix 3000, Shimano TS4 (old model), Abu Garcia LX , Okuma VS20, and some others.
These reels were matched with a 13 ft Abu Garcia Surf Rod,6ft Custom TS Stroker, 8ft Berkelly Gorilla Stick (Spinning), Shakespere for Bait casting and few others I’ve forgotten the details.
These are all now not much in use since I was too occupied with work and families activities.
On my next trip home, I shall consider to bring along 1 or 2 set up if I can find some activities with the locals and members of this forum.
I am looking forward for a wonderful fishing experience and adventure in India. Please PM me for some fishy chit chat over coffee or introduction of local angling activities.
Best Wishes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to Indian Angler. We have a very active group in Chennai and I am sure they will help you out..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:52 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks you Sir,

I see great potential for sports fishing as India being blessed with greater places for Sports Anglers. My country man will never believe for you to hook on decent size Travellies, Baracudas, Baramundi just over the shore line. We have to go over 5 n.miles for that kind of fish. We now have to go further near oil rigs on the eastern shore and even to the Thailand and South Burma to really enjoy fishing.

I may be wrong but I see this fishy hobby has still little followers, even looking at the traffic on this forum as I am a regular with the Malaysian and Singapore forum and even to the Bloodydecks.com of the US. As said there are great potential to this hobby and industry in India, also tourism not to forget.

I was in Bangalore in 2003-06 but sadly had no chance to go venturing Cauvery River for the great mahsheer as I had no kakis to go and enjoy fishing then. I was not even aware of any fishing tackle shop is Bangalore then when anglers from over the globe dream of the mahsheer but not so much from locals, I may be wrong still. It has changed now I believe for a greater one. Frankly members of the forum plays a big role to promote the fun of fishing. I have not seen any local Anglers Magazines still to date, maybe I should think of venturing into one. Hehehe.

Still I am looking for an opportunity to wet some lines....

Tight Lines... Bring in the fish!!

h_venkatesan wrote:
Welcome to Indian Angler. We have a very active group in Chennai and I am sure they will help you out..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome aboard!

Like Venkatesan mentioned, there is an active group in Chennai.

I will be fishing Chennai from June onwards.
Nice to see someone fishing conventional reels....

BTW, what is the line/lure rating on you 6ft Custom TS Stroker and the 8ft Berkelly Gorilla Stick rods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 pm 
Enlightened

Thank you sir,

TS Rods maker is our respected 'Sifu' Uncle Thomas Lee... 'TS' for Thomas Stroker, Mr. Thomas own blank design and also known for rod binding for Xzoga Blanks Rods. A well known figure in the Region and supply his creatively design rod making artwork even to Australasia and Europe.. Look for Thomas Stroker on the net and You Tube .. You'll find this 'crazy' old man fighting Big Fish even Sail fish with His light set-up...

My Berkely Gorilla Stick is now more than 12 yrs old. A beauty 8 footer with a green camo design and fast action... I think it was design for freshwater fishing... but I use for Live Bait Fishing, or light to Mid range popping or casting... It is now a collectors item and kept as show piece.

Keep me updated with the activities all and around the city..

lure_fisherman wrote:
Welcome aboard!

Like Venkatesan mentioned, there is an active group in Chennai.

I will be fishing Chennai from June onwards.
Nice to see someone fishing conventional reels....

BTW, what is the line/lure rating on you 6ft Custom TS Stroker and the 8ft Berkelly Gorilla Stick rods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum, Shah.
I am from chennai but have not been fishing these days due to preoccupation.
Shall get in touch with you once am ready to go fishing.

Ravi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:35 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks Ravin,

As said, we can just sit is some 'coffee day' and tell our fishy tales... we can start with that, the action can come later... just PM me... I'll be free at any weekend if I'm not travelling... I am looking forward...

ravinp58 wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Shah.
I am from chennai but have not been fishing these days due to preoccupation.
Shall get in touch with you once am ready to go fishing.

Ravi.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:19 pm 
Enlightened

Fellow Anglers... I've never traveled with my Fishing Tackle as I intent to carry one or two set for me soonest so I shall enjoy my stay in India better.

Unfortunately, I am not so sure if the Custom at the Airport will just let me go without me contributing to the economy.

Thus, I seek guidance on the Rule & Procedures for me to have a peace of mind when carrying my R&R (Rod&Reel) to the country..

No I donot planned to buy another R&R here... well maybe some accessories of swivel n hooks or such.. frankly no more addition to my collection of R&R after 20 odd years in this smelly slimy hobby of mine.

Ok, Tell me please.....