->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 10:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fly fishing Gear
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:18 pm 

Looking for wt 5 and 8 fly line and reel.

And some mahseer flies.

Hear soon

Ajay

Post subject: Re: Fly fishing Gear
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 am 
Fishaholic

@Col, it is nice to see some interest in this group on fly fishing.

From my experience in using the single handed rods for trout, LMB, Striped Bass, Carp etc. the following is what I would recommend:

5WT:
Line: Rio Gold WF for dry fly, Rio InTouch Sink-Tip for streamer or even Rio Single Hand Spey for larger streamers
Reel: Any reel with disc drag should work here as Trout rarely go into the backing, but Mahseer might. I'm thinking something like an Orvis Battenkill Disc reel should be sufficient.

8WT: Rio Gold WF for larger dry flies (Trout and Mahseer), Rio Outbound Short WF/ Int/ Sink for streamers (larger Trout or Mahseer); this depends on the fishing condition and the size of the river. For larger reach, you'd to have either go with Spey/Switch rod setup and the line selection goes through the roof! the above keeps it simple on the single handed rods.
Reel: Orvis Battenkill, Lamson Waterworks, Loop, and Reddington Behemoth. Should be a good choice, holds plenty of backing and a nice fly line.

From the above list you can pretty much say that I am biased towards Rio for lines and Orvis for fly reels, TFO for fly rods (best bang for buck out there!). That is because I first went with the cheaper options and then settled with the tried and tested brands in the world of fly fishing. Not saying that there aren't other players in this field, if you have the pocket for it then there truly isn't any limit just like any hobby out there.

But this should help you on your path. With more details on the type of water you're fishing, the target species, tactics etc. we can refine the list further. Looking forward to hear from you more on this.

Cheers...