->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: GT's Feeding on Terns
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,

I do not know if any of you have seen Blue Planet II, but I have seen the first 3 episodes and in Episode 1, you all have got to see the stunning and incredible photography of these GTs Feeding on terns. Here's a link to a teaser on youtube, enjoy it copy and paste the link in your browser address if the link does not work, the entire footage which you can watch in the episode is even more amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxlmqF0wj8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes, I saw the episode or clip of the GTs eating terns .... superb photography.

What is astonishing is that the GTs can actually catch birds flying in air! Used to be the other way around as we knew it .... it was the birds that caught fish!

Wonders of nature!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for sharing. I watched this last week, pretty cool and amazing video footage. I know what bait to use next time for GT :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 am 
Enlightened

Great video which begs to ask this question to see if anybody fishing the east or west coast have ever observed this? There isn't a whole lot of shallow reefs where GT's can do this in either side other than one's near Tuticorin, extreme southern tip of the country and the Andaman.

Looking to see if the resident anglers have witnessed this phenomenon?

Cheers....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am 
Fishaholic

I have seen Dolphin partially beaching themselves chasing mullets in on of my old secret spots :lol: :oops:. They come almost out of the water and pick the mullets that they drive out of the water roll on the side and pick them up.

I have seen a Rock Cod trying to catch a heron, unsuccessfully and moray eels strike from under the water take out crabs that are right out on the rocks, I have seen snipes spooked by these eels too, but never seen an eel strike at them so I guess they must do that as well.

All this in India, the latter two in Mumbai.

Let this thread continue with any unusual or amazing natural fishing related experienced you have had or witnessed on all your fishing adventures, it will be fun to hear these stories members. Sharing these experiences will be a good read and will also help educate and let people know what to look for when they are out there so that they do not miss the wonders nature has to offer. I have a few more that I will post in due course over here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

That GT video was the coolest I've seen recently!

Bobby wrote:
I have seen Dolphin partially beaching themselves chasing mullets in on of my old secret spots :lol: :oops:. They come almost out of the water and pick the mullets that they drive out of the water roll on the side and pick them up.

I have seen a Rock Cod trying to catch a heron, unsuccessfully and moray eels strike from under the water take out crabs that are right out on the rocks, I have seen snipes spooked by these eels too, but never seen an eel strike at them so I guess they must do that as well.

All this in India, the latter two in Mumbai.

Let this thread continue with any unusual or amazing natural fishing related experienced you have had or witnessed on all your fishing adventures, it will be fun to hear these stories members. Sharing these experiences will be a good read and will also help educate and let people know what to look for when they are out there so that they do not miss the wonders nature has to offer. I have a few more that I will post in due course over here.

Wow! That's nice to see all those things happen in the shore.
I wish I lived close to the shore, but I might consider finding a job in Chennai soon.

One of the obvious things I've witnessed is Snakeheads trying to gulp birds :-)

And once, I saw a huge toad that tried to eat a crab, which I've never expected.
Managed to get that on video (cell phone). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvk_QFbpng

Maruthu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

The thing is when I fish, I am very alert, continuously scanning the waters (with eyes and ears) to spot any changes and activity in and above the water also in the air, so i'd like to think that nothing goes by me. Even when I fish blue water I am always on the lookout. When you are alert while fishing you will see many things that others miss and you will increase your strike rate considerably.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm 
Fishaholic

More than a couple of times I have seen GT landing into jetty rocks out of water, while chasing fish.
Many times I have seen injured terns floating near the surf and I always waited for the moment they will get attacked by a GT or shark, but so far it has not happened.

Couple of weeks back when in my native I witnessed this:
They place I fish has a huge crow crowd, more than 100 in number and I have always wondered how they form such a big crowd.
When I reached the fishing spot I saw this crow crowd sitting near the shore line and I started my usual fishing routine.
After some time i noticed the commotion among the crows and then I saw they have held captive a tern.
The tern is in the estuary and when ever it tired to escape the crows will follow and pull it down to water again.
The tern is also extremely agile and it was flying extremely close to the water to evade the crows pecking from above.
This went on for some time at a distance from where I was standing and I saw a friend approaching near to the place and I signaled him to chase the crows away.
when he chased the crows the came in my direction and I started scaring the crows by casting into them.
Finally the tern used the opportunity and flew into the sea. few crows still chased it into the sea but failed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Miles off the western coast of Australia, while on a fishing trip, we noticed some strange movements in the water.

Upon bringing the boat closer, we saw two sea snakes mating with very graceful and undulating movements. Very prettily coloured.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Ok I got another one for you. My friend had just landed a large Barra about 30lb+ in a estuary from a jetty. He wanted to keep the fish alive so he ran a rope through the gills, and lowered it from the jetty back into the water and tied the other end of the rope to the jetty railing and continued fishing. After some time he heard some loud splashing sounds where he had tied the fish. He knew something was going on so he ran to see what the commotion was all about. On getting there he saw a massive Grouper that had the tail section of the barra in its mouth from the side, like how a dog holds a bone. The Barra managed to wrestle free and the massive grouper sank into back into the murky water. On pulling the Barra back up, he noticed that the fish had lost a considerable amount of scales on either side of the body where the Grouper had held it.

Apparently that Grouper is resident to that area and several locals have claimed to have hooked it when hand-lining but no one has been able to land it, talk about a legend. I have fished several times in that area but have never had the good fortune to ever see this behemoth.