->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Surf tackle school
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:21 am 
Enlightened

Greetings to all residents of IA.

As some of you might be aware, over the past few months I have been mostly planning on getting a travel surf tackle setup. Due to work picking up in the said few months I could not afford to place my focus on tackle research let alone look at them going off and on sale over the internet. Since then I've been doing some digging around on several forums here and there and taking to co workers with such experiences to get some ideas. Being a fly angler first and then an opportunistic angler second (might be oxymoronic), the surf setup is mostly for my trips to India or other such places i happen fall upon during work travels or a vacation.

Keeping this, value vs. cost, and getting homeless in mind, I think I've been pursuaded enough by the experts here and elsewhere to finalize the following tackle.

Rod= Okuma Nomad Travel Surf Rod 10' MH (1-4 oz) -found a good deal
Reel= Penn Battle II 6000 -found a good deal
Line= Spider Stealth 30# x 300yds, straight to spool -found a good deal
Leader= Berkeley Vanish 20# Fluorocarbon (under debate vs. mono) -found a good deal
Plugs= under construction (debating 2-3oz plugs in various colors for GT/Barra) -ways to go until I'll be barely scratching the surface.

All above are currently under consideration waiting on upcoming sale to pull the trigger as they say. Still have a few days for the resident experts over here to change my mind, which I'll be more than glad to do as I am open to criticism/ideas/recommendation.

Let me know what y'all think.

Cheers....

Post subject: Re: Surf tackle school
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 pm 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun

Yes, you are good to go with your choices.

Just make sure the Battle II reel fits the Nomad rod .... some Penn reels have a thick reel foot which will not fit some rod seats.

Suggest you also buy a spool of monofilament line , say 14-15 lbs, which will give you an alternative
if you find braid difficult to handle when tying your leader to it or if you keep getting wind knots with the Battle reel.

Hopefully you will be kitted out by this Christmas and be ready to join this band of ( spinning) brothers!

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Ulygun,

I suggest that you go with 40# fluoro or at the least 30# fluoro leader.
Also, a 9' rod is a little more versatile than a 10' rod in my opinion, but that is just my opinion though.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 pm 
Enlightened

kingfish wrote:
@Ulygun
Just make sure the Battle II reel fits the Nomad rod .... some Penn reels have a thick reel foot which will not fit some rod seats.

Suggest you also buy a spool of monofilament line , say 14-15 lbs, which will give you an alternative
if you find braid difficult to handle when tying your leader to it or if you keep getting wind knots with the Battle reel.

The Nomad's have Fuji reel seat, which I am hoping is compatible with Penn Battle reels. If not I think I am allowed to borrow a Shimano Spheros SW from my co worker if I am unable to land on a reel in time for the India trip.

Also, I've been internally debating deeply over the mono on braid option for the sake of handling. May be this is an unconventional way of doing it, but how about 15' of 30# mono to braid to handle from reel to 30# fluoro leader? This way you are handling the mono at the reel during casting and for noobs like me a an easy connection between line and leader? Thinking it might spook the fishes a little less with a mono leading the fluoro instead of braid? Just food for thought.

lure_fisherman wrote:
Ulygun,
I suggest that you go with 40# fluoro or at the least 30# fluoro leader.
Also, a 9' rod is a little more versatile than a 10' rod in my opinion, but that is just my opinion though.

I will take your suggestion and add a 30# fluoro to the mix. I see your point with the versatility of a 9' rod, the main reason I chose the 10' is for its ability to chuck 1-4oz lures a country mile as the 9' rod in this series is limited at 2oz.

Looks like the lures are the only thing that's missing from this mix. While looking at various options. I happened to fall upon something called GT Ice cream plugs. Does anybody have any experiences with these?

https://www.gticecream.com/online-store/gt-ice-cream-cone-lure/

As you can see there are various versions of these lures for various conditions. I was thinking of grabbing a couple as they seem to be quite an expensive bunch to say the least, lol! I could definitely work with alternatives if y'all have had success with them. Along with these poppers and plugs, I plan to carry with me a bunch of plastics and rubber lures with slits for hooks, I've heard that they hold the hooks better?

I think so far so good with the progress all thanks to the in-depth knowledge of the resident experts here.

@Kingfish and @lure_fisherman, again as always I appreciate all the input. Tightlines all!

Cheers....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Ulygun,

Topshotting braid with mono has its merits .... I have done this with Penn reels that are prone to wind knots.

However, I think you are over complicating matters and at this stage you should keep things simple until you gain more experience with braid. That is why I suggest you load your reel with a clear monofilament line entirely and fish with it , without having to worry about tying a fluorocarbon leader or topshotting.

The Battle II in size 6000 has a line capacity of about 300 yards when loaded with 15 lb mono, which is plenty for shore casting.

GTs, Barra and all other species will readily hit lures rigged with mono line. After all, that is how we caught fish not very long ago before fluoro leaders came onto the scene.

If you do go the braid way, minimum 30 lb braid with 40lb leader (as mentioned by Maruthu) would be the way to go so you could fish rocky terrain or when handling strong fish.

Some anglers, such as Venkat from our Forum, can fish with lighter line for GT etc. as they are more experienced.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 pm 
Fishaholic

I have used the GT Ice Cream lure and like it, it casts far and is easy to use if you buy the needle nose version.

For poppers, try and purchase Halco brand if available in the States, otherwise Storm Chug a Bugs may suffice if you upgrade the hooks, ditto for Cotton Cordells. Rapala also make poppers.

Some Rapala Countdown CD 11, 13 in Firetiger and Red Head colours will add versatility in your tackle, these can be used for Barra and are easily available where you are. Their advantage is that they can be fished at various depths in the water column, you just countdown the seconds to reach a particular depth.

For soft plastics, Storm and Tsunami would provide you with a selection of heavier lures that you could cast with your outfit.These usually come pre-rigged with hooks, so that is one less complication for you as you will not have to carry an assortment of jigheads in various weights and sizes.

This will do for starters. Other lures will accumulate in due time, believe me!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 am 
Fishaholic

Ulygun,

I completely forgot.

You must have some metal lures in your lure box ! These cast easily and are sturdy, more importantly
they catch fish.

In the States, you should get some Hopkins and Deadly Dicks in sizes 1.5 - 2 oz in silver colours.

If you can get the Australian Halco Twisty in size 40-50 grams, nothing like it. I have used this metal lure all over the world with success.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 am 
Enlightened

Thanks a ton for your invaluable input Kingfish, much appreciated.

May be I am over-complicating this as you point out, my intention is to setup everything right the first time. I am not sure if I'm going to meddle with this system again and again, TBH.

I am waiting for the thanksgiving sale to take place so that I can start spending some time collecting lures. I will definitely look into the brand names you've posted here and let you know how it goes. I am planning to buy a couple of GT IC in3oz plug/cone and needle nose variants for sure.

Thanks all and cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Hello Ulygun,
If you do go the braid way, minimum 30 lb braid with 40lb leader (as mentioned by Maruthu) would be the way to go so you could fish rocky terrain or when handling strong fish.
Kingfish

This is a very good suggestion. 30lb braid is a very versatile line and you could use it from rocks as well as surf.
If you are going to do any fishing from rocks, and target fishes like GT, use a long leader around 15 feet preferably 50lb connected using FG knot.
You can get away with bara of any size using light leader, but a ok sized GT can easily snap a 20# leader.

Ulygun wrote:
Also, I've been internally debating deeply over the mono on braid option for the sake of handling. May be this is an unconventional way of doing it, but how about 15' of 30# mono to braid to handle from reel to 30# fluoro leader? This way you are handling the mono at the reel during casting and for noobs like me a an easy connection between line and leader? Thinking it might spook the fishes a little less with a mono leading the fluoro instead of braid? Just food for thought.

Any one who loves their fingers will never do surf casting with braid [smilie=coolup.gif]
I use a setup like this in spinning reel : mainline (braid)-->12 foot plus leader connected by FG knot -->Swivel-->2 foot Fluoro leader -->Tactical Anglers Clip.

My advice:
1.just pay a little more and get a Saragossa SW 6000, you will not repent.
2.Do not spend money on fancy lures..
3. Again pay little more and get good quality fluro line like seagur premium.
High quality fluro line is more supple and much easier to tie knots. A good tight know is essential for GT.

My list of lures for surf : Rapala x-rap, diawa Sp minnow, any good popper and few spoons.

Hope this helps rather than confusing you more.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:19 am 
Enlightened

h_venkatesan wrote:
If you are going to do any fishing from rocks, and target fishes like GT, use a long leader around 15 feet preferably 50lb connected using FG knot.

h_venkatesan wrote:
I use a setup like this in spinning reel : mainline (braid)-->12 foot plus leader connected by FG knot -->Swivel-->2 foot Fluoro leader -->Tactical Anglers Clip.

@H_Venkatesan, I see what you're saying here and it ties back to what I was thinking out loud in the last post on possible mono leader from braid for handling purpose, but looks like this is more purposeful. The 12'/15' leader from braid that you talk of, can it be a 50# mono? It's interesting that you mentioned TA clip, while digging around all over the internet I happened to fall upon a couple of surf angling forums where folks swear by their manhood on greatness of these clips, so makes me question :lol:, pun not intended.

This is how I understand it: Mainline 40# braid >>FG knot<< 12' 50# mono leader >>Palomar knot<< swivel >>Palomar knot<< 2'/3' 30# fluoro >>Palomar knot<< OR >>Clinch knot<<TA power clip >> lure

From rig up above, in your experience what would be the weakest link, say if there were to be a hangup or while fighting fish? I'd rather it break at the lure, so here the link between fluro leader to TA clip would be the weakest if I choose to use a clinch knot? Usually in fly fishing the weakest link is between the fly and the leader, so thinking of a similar analogy here.

As you rightly put it, I am not planning to spend unnecessarily on lures for certain. For that matter anything more than what is needed to setup a decent surf rod which I might end of using once in a blue moon. But TBH, who knows, if I like it so much I might become a true convert and join the brotherhood full-time and invest in bulletproof gear. At the moment however, fly fishing is still up there in my passion list.

Back on the subject of lures, I think from what y'all have posted here I guess I have a good starting point and I will start hitting the local tackle shops and see what's on sale and something that catches my eyes. I was just sold with the GT ice cream lures no doubt with all the pictures and youtube videos. No doubt it is one of those good lures to have in your tackle box for Stripers, GT's, Mackerel etc. I will however get a decent list ready with Halco poppers, Rapala x-raps, some rattle types, spoons etc.

As always I'm amazed at the local knowledge and humbled by all the free flow of extremely useful information, thanks @H_Venkatesan.

Tight lines all!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:10 am 
Fishaholic

Wheee ..... talk about life getting complicated!

The Saragossa 6000SW is a great reel. However, at last count it is US$ 170 more than the Battle II in the same size, which will do the job just as efficiently if looked after.

That $170 saving is almost the cost of a new 10 ft Nomad travel rod.

I would go braid to leader with FG knot . Tie leader to snap swivel with uni knot, attach lure and be done with it.

This has served me and countless other anglers well enough to land heavy fish.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:39 am 
Enlightened

kingfish wrote:
That $170 saving is almost the cost of a new 10 ft Nomad travel rod.

I would go braid to leader with FG knot . Tie leader to snap swivel with uni knot, attach lure and be done with it.

Makes sense on both counts, will try to keep this simple. More connections = more chance for breakage. LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Great suggestions from all about the gear . See if you can get a Tsunami talkin popper, they have a great action, and are not expensive. I have had great success with rapala xrap get those as mentioned by Venkat.
I have used the GT ice cream lure, the needle nose I think. They cast like a rocket. They are the farthest casting lure that I have ever used. I was once fishing in Chennai when there was lot of barracuda feeding, and got two hits on the GT ice cream, but missed both. They wanted slower moving lures, and GT ice creams didn't work for me. But its always fun to cast them and watch them fly a mile away !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:43 am 
Enlightened

@Binu, thanks for the kind words bro. Looks like other than some loose ends like a split ring plier, poppers and spoons and surface lures and jigs and plastics and etc. I'm all setup! LOL

Golly! the amount of things one needs for surf casting is endless! The Mrs is flying all over the globe and I get some time to spend on youtube getting schooled on surf fishing. I thought fly fishing was technical, you guys are just buck-nasty! Hopefully will help me kick some GT ass in India this winter.

Thanks for it all folks! tightlines.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:27 am 
Fishaholic

@ Ulygun

So what did you finally wind up with for your rod and reel? We are interested to know!

The best time to buy gear is when the Mrs. is not around!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 am 
Enlightened

@Kingfish, you're right on the gear buying gyan. I was able to focus on some lure list and filled up the slots over the weekend. I am certain that there is ample room for improvement, but I didn't want to go ballistic with this selection for a couple of weeks of fishing either. So here goes.....

1. Okuma Nomad 10' MH Surf Travel Rod 1-4 Oz
2. Penn Battle II 6000
3. Daiwa J-Braid 8X 50# 330yd
4. Seaguar 100% FC 30#
5. TA Angler Clip 75#
6. Power Swivel -Ball Bearing Type -75#

1. GT Ice cream 1.5-4 Oz -several flavors (needle nose, flat, skinny, plug)
2. Rapala X-Rap Surface 1-3/4 Oz
3. Halco Roosta Popper 1.5 Oz
4. DOA Shad -Rigged weedless
5. DOA Shrimp w/ popping cork
6. Couple of spoons in various colors and weights

Phew! boy was all that a task. The biggest issue while buying lures was that I hardly came across any over 3/4 Oz. I am not a big fan buying something I am going to use the first time on water over the internet, I like it old school w/ some touchy-feely action. But after that initial cuddling it's better online just for the ease of it, sorry for sounding hypocritical. I think I visited every single big brand tackle shops in my county! I finally fell upon this tackle shop next to a beach owned by this elderly gentleman who was a treasure trove of knowledge on fishing Texas saltwater. Great guy, sound advice, nice selection of lures and great salesman as my credit card bled while swiping!

So yesterday, I sat down and upgraded the hooks on all the lures and pinched the barbs. Set up the reel w/ all knots and all that. Did the same with my fly tackle and flies. Found a cozy bag to fit everything in and placed 'em all nice and tight for the plane ride half way across the globe. Seems like it was an eventful weekend.

Only thing left to do is to catch some nice fish! Hopefully the fishing gods bless me with a few bruisers.

Hopefully I can manage some both on east and west coast of India. I might be in Chennai last week of December and it would be fantastic if someone from the forum could join me and show me a thing or two about surf fishing the beaches around Chennai. I think I'll start another thread for the India fishing chronicles!

I can't thank each and every one of you enough for helping me out with this, if there were ever a noob success story this is it! Way to go fellas.... Cheers and tightlines.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun

First of all, thanks for giving us such a comprehensive reply and that too with pictures .... it is nice to see someone starting out spin fishing with a detailed thought process.

If you have a beach nearby, it would be advisable to test out your equipment so that you gain familiarity with it prior to your India trip ... practice your casting and check out your lure actions.

The only facet that I find quizzical is the choice of soft plastics, which seem to me more geared for use with a lighter setup ..... you may find these difficult to cast with the surf rod/reel combo.

We hope to hear more from you when you are in India ... feel free to ask any questions you may have, we would all be delighted to help out.

Best wishes,
Kingfish

P.S. I suggest you should take an extra spool of 40 lb J Braid, just in case and it is not too costly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 pm 
Enlightened

@kingfish
Quote:
If you have a beach nearby, it would be advisable to test out your equipment so that you gain familiarity with it prior to your India trip ... practice your casting and check out your lure actions.

I do have a beach but it's too late now unfortunately as I will be flying down this Wednesday. I was hoping to do the same but it looks like this will be more of a trial by fire kinda deal.

Quote:
The only facet that I find quizzical is the choice of soft plastics, which seem to me more geared for use with a lighter setup ..... you may find these difficult to cast with the surf rod/reel combo.

I thought of that as much then I plan to use a popping cork with weights adjusted to give me at least 1.25 oz to chuck it out for popping retrieve in fairly shallow waters. For the shad version of the same I plan to Texas rig the shad and throw it out, it's been currently rigged weedless with weighted hook. I hope it works! Lol

Suggestion for a second spool of braid much appreciated. I also have a 1000yd of 50# mono with me as well.

Cheers and tight-Iines all!