->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello fine angling gents...

I wanted to share with you my exploits in this art of gentleman-ary during my recent super short visit to India while on business. A short story on how not to visit India and thereby your kinfolks, your fishing spots when you're on work, is not a good idea as I learned the hard way.

Island hoping from Indonesia to Malaysia and then to India in a span of 48 hours while working on GMT-6 timezone will tax you. Enough to skip the early morning golden hour fishing experience at your favorite-est spots in your hometown. At least so was the case with me, unfortunately. Word of advise, please don't do this to yourselves!

Using the tackle you buy locally by paying it through your nose, something that's available for less than half of what you'd pay for in the US, you try and try till you succeed. Making lemonade with the oranges you're dealt with, cast a lure or two as and when you get a chance to do so between family, friends, the dreaded work and everything in between. Hitting these spots during dusk instead and about the time the tide makes a turn for the good, as stars align in your favor, so says the fishing app.

Finally on the last day, your persistence pays off, on the last friggin' day! Lol! Better something than nothing, we can all agree on that one.

A fine-ass Barramundi.

Cheers....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Ulygun,

Yes, that is exactly what some of us visiting anglers go through. Although I have made sure I carry my own tackle (condensed version i.e. Travel rod, reel, small tackle box).

Enough said ..... that is a lovely gift Barra on the last day and I am sure it washed away all the hard times you had on the trip.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

P.S. The dog seems to like fishing also!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Glad you managed to catch that Barra before you left.
It must have definitely been a very satisfying feeling when you landed that fish....

What lure did you catch that Barra on?

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

@Maruthu, yes sir! It was indeed a great feeling. Tide was about to start rolling back and I think the bite had just picked up. I could've possibly landed one or two more.... But had to head back home for the festivities.

I got this fella on a soft plastic with tail. Something new for me in catching Barra in India. Seems like the ticket these days....

Cheers...

Last edited by Ulygun on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish, I've learned my lesson and left the tackle home this time! Yup this was special for a last day catch....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Ulygun wrote:
@Maruthu, yes sir! It was indeed a great feeling. Tide was about to start rolling back and I think the bite had just picked up. I could've possibly landed one or two more.... But had to head back home for the festivities.

I got this fella on soft plastics with a tail. Something new for me in catching Barra in India. Seems like the ticket the days....

Cheers...

That must have been hard to leave though. At least you landed one before that, which was nice.
Yes those soft plastic lures seem to be the ticket here these days. A lot of anglers are using them now.

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:32 am 
Fishaholic

Ulygun,

Out of interest, what is the tackle you bought?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:42 am 
Fishaholic

@Maruthu, you're correct. A local tackle shop was filled to the brim with z-man soft plastics. Although, I find the quality to be sub par compared to what we get here in the states. No matter though as it works.

@Kingfish, I got myself an 8' Penn Mako Medium 2 piece rod and a Shimano Sahara 5000XG.

Rod is a bit too stiff, good backbone... and it has some pretty big, rounded guides, not Fuji. Impressed with the reel though as my only previous experience with Shimano was a low end Sienna which I bought it back when I was infatuated with Sienna Miller! Lol... True story, that and it was on sale for $15 or so. The Sahara has some impressive specs which I came to know later and comes with a micro drag although not quite the same, it's similar to the Daiwa. For the price I paid, I could've bought two over here! I should've picked up tackle while I was in KL, it was relatively cheaper and good quality. I could've picked up a nice Stradic or a Daiwa LT....

Lure wise I bought two of each kind, one light and one dark color. Soft plastics, spoons, poppers, swim bait, jerk bait, bucktail. I got a couple of hits on the swim bait, but couldn't hook em. You know rest of the story....

Cheers....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Ulygun,

You did splurge on a new outfit!

Sahara reels have a good reputation and are value for money. Glad you caught the Barra on a soft plastic
as I have been a proponent of these for years.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:27 am 
Fishaholic

That's fantastic ! Catching a barra from the surf at night, soft plastics is Classic ! Well done

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:58 pm 
Enlightened

A really nice write up , and great going with the soft plastics . As the night progresses bigger barra are on the prowl.... what was the moon phase when you caught ur fish ?
Most of my bigger specimens have come much later in the evening/night.
what was the softie( weight/ colour) you got lucky on ?.... mainline / leader ratings?
Looking fwd to more reports .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:29 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
You did splurge on a new outfit!

Lol! Yes sir I did, not willingly however. I could've bought it all for less than half of what I paid for it! But I did win on the reel. It is sweet... So far....

@Binu.. Thanks much fella.

@Websinner, nice to meet you... Thanks. Yes, bigger Barra was what I was targeting, but I'll take anything after fishing for several hours with nothing to show for it. The moon phase was whatever it was on Nov-9th and it fell for a dark colored z-man plastic. I believe it's a 20# braid and 40# mono leader.

Hope this helps. Cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 am 
Enlightened

@ Ulygun , nice to meet you too .
moon phase on 9th NOV was 3 days away from full moon which was on 12 th NOV .......thanks for ur reply.
i try and keep a record of the bigger specimens caught around full moon and no moon .....i have had most success with bigger barra on the west coast on the days leading upto a full moon and the days just after a no moon ...mostly from 8pm to 2 am timing range that has co-incided with the turning tide . since i almost exclusively use soft plastics to target predators i was very intrested in the details . darker colours have performed better after sunset than lighter colours . nice to see ur observations are also along the same lines . I usually use #30 pound mainline ( braid) + 50/60 # leaders
looking fwd hearing ur opinion on how the Shimano Sahara 5000XG handles with time and use. [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

@Websinner, that's impressive record keeping bruh! I wish you the best with that...
Yes, this fish did come from the west coast as well. I typically try and be more tactical when I can afford to do so, but when you're visiting on a tight schedule, I try to be on water as much as I can. I couldn't go fishing on the boat this time however.
My folks send me packages often enough where I can ask them to send the reel back with me so I can fish more with it. I really liked the punch it packed in a small package! The price I paid for it is still stinging me a little and it doesn't make sense to keep it locked up till I visit home again.
Someday I'd like to take a trip of west coast and do nothing but fish the wide open beach and estuaries.... Someday.... Until then I can only dream...

Cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:56 am 
Enlightened

@ Ulygun
we dream of fishing all day and then some more ....the trip reports and the pics fuel these dreams ..... till the day comes this is the next best thing. [smilie=chongin.gif]
ps: the record keeping helps when u blank and then start doubting all kind of things about gear / tackle / tactics used .

pps:: next time try using a red gill teaser along with ur soft plastic from the beach .......when the bite is slow it can do wonders .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:13 am 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:
pps:: next time try using a red gill teaser along with ur soft plastic from the beach .......when the bite is slow it can do wonders .
I'll try that next time man. Thanks for the pro tip! Cheers....