->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: fish attractors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

a long time ago when I went sea fishing from a boat, the water we fished was not too deep so I tried cutting a finger off a rubber glove and fitting a bit off sponge tightly into the tip then pushing the stem of the hook up from the bottom till it came out the top I shredded the excess bit of glove to simulate a squid and soaked the sponge in a fish oil, then if the water wasn't too deep so the water pressure didn't squeeze all the attractor oil out of the sponge... now I am wondering if we could do the same and put it above a lure so it gave off a scent trail... what do you think guys?... worth a try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

It would work like a chum bag. But for a lure generally the vibration and sound are the factors that attract fish. It is worth a try in adverse conditions. I would prefer this with bait, not with a lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

hi friend, the good news is the glove has five fingers
so we can try the method in many ways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 pm 
Fishaholic

There are various gells and dips on the market for adding scent to lures. I've yet to see any convincing evidence that they work on hard bodied lures being retrieved at the sort of speeds typically seen in spinning.
Scented soft plastics are somewhat different because some presentations are fished very slowly so the scent may well induce a fish to bite.

Bait fishing is an entirely different proposition and I will be taking a toy known as a "Spod" on my next visit to introduce some mashed up fih bits to the area that I'll be fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Trancer, I would definitely suggest you experiment with flavours when lure fishing.

While in Australia I fished extensively with an angler who was at the top of his game. He caught more fishing than most people and consequently was sponsored by a couple of big fishing companies. Sure, he was more knowledgeable than most anglers, but he also swore by flavouring his lures. We mainly fished butterfly/vertical jigs and he would never send one down without giving it a good flavouring. And believe me it did give him an edge, particularly when the fish were being finicky.

I also heard of an angler from Goa who would always fish with a small pouch/reservoir attached to his belt, which contained fish oil. Before every cast he would dip his lure into the oil and give it a good coating of oil. And I can confirm this angler caught far more fish than most of the other anglers....Whether the oil gave him an edge is the question....something to think about..:)

It's important to remember when lure fishing that once a fish becomes aware of your lure (by sound/vibration or sight), it might not directly take it. Most fish are quite capable of inspecting the offering before making the decision to actually strike or not. This is true not only for short distance/ambush species such as barramundi and jacks etc (i've seen barra and jacks inspect and turn from my lure many many times) but also faster pelagic species such as spanish mackerel and wahoo.

So sometimes when the fish are not feeding confidently, a bit of scent on the lure may seal the deal and actually get the fish to strike. It seems sensible to try and give yourself an edge, so why not try some experiments. Just make sure your lure action is not affected if you try adding a scent dispenser above. You could make start with some soft plastic lures which will actually soak up the scent very easily ( there is a reason why many Australians think that anglers who use Berkley gulp soft plastics are cheating)

Oh and Ken!!.... you have finally surfaced.. I was beginning to think you may have turned into a fish or even a monk!

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Nah, I'm still about but my trip in 2013 was to Thailand rather than India.
This year things have been a bit limited because I've just had to have eye surgery (again) and I'm waiting for a hospital appointment for another operation.
Not exactly condusive to happy travelling!

The scented jigs comment was interesting - especially if your Aussie mate was ripping them up vertically rather than jigging them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

sorry to hear about your hospital visits Ken. That is a shame.

The flavoured/scented jigs definitely worked well on the slower retrieves but I cannot really say about the speed jigging. Usually when we retrieved fast it was for shoals of excited samson fish. Because the fish were so fired up, I think a scented lure probably made no difference - a hook up was almost guaranteed whatever..

But for sure on hard days, the flavoured lures would out do the unflavoured lure particularly on the demersal species such as pink snappers and Dhufish. We would fish the jigs with plenty of movement, and some speed so I would think similar flavours might make a difference when targetting jacks and barra, when retrieve rates might be similar to that of the vertical jigs.

For sure this is an interesting subject which I might look into more one day. But on the flip side, as you know if you stand in the right spot at the right time and with the right lure you will catch the fish. Stand in the wrong spot with your flavoured lure and you will catch nothing. And I guess this is an important point for novices!First get a solid understanding of watercraft and techniques etc before experimenting with the finer points...

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Nice to see you back again Ken. Looks like your eye has been playing up again? Hope everything works out for you mate. Get well soon.

Cheers
Bops