->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Advice needed
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:55 pm 

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post and i am very very new into fishing I am Located in Tuticorin (Tamilnadu)

I do shore fishing but only with baits (squids and prawns) i was able to land only small fishes upto 1/2 kg max (Emperor fishes) with much ease.
I have a SHIMANO 9ft rod
And have a reel holding 15lb mono line.
and a 40lb leader.
I am not speaking about 10 kg fishes since i am a beginer.
Is this setup enough to catch some medium sized big fishes,
Or i have to upgrade a better reel that holds more heavy line.
My friend has a reel with 40lb main line but it is very hard to cast lures to a distance with such a line.

And also In a place where i fish i can see some BARRACUDAS feeding on the top of the water atleast 120 feet away from the place where is stand and the lure i have now is just 17 grm popper which I could not cast upto thats distance even. Please just me a good lure for BARRACUDAS and also please let me know to about how much distance can we normally cast a lure from shore.

Will surely upcome with more questions i have a lot of them since i am new to this field. Please guide me through

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Advice needed
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to Indian Angler Sathya!

What ever you have should hold good for even 10 kilo barracudas, as long as the reel is a good reel with a smooth drag (smooth, not heavy). Use a 135 mm Halco Roosta popper in white with red head to nail those barracudas if you are fishing in the evenings. During the morning time, I'd rather fish a Rapala X Rap 14.

I always wanted to fish that area, but never had the chance.
Usually I fish the beaches near Chennai or the west coast of India.

My advice here though is that, if the local hand liners are not already using lures, then keep it to a low profile and enjoy the fishing that your location has to offer you. If the hand liners start using lures, then the fishing will not be as great after that as they are professionals and will fish the place out. We have seen this happen in the past. So please keep a low profile when it comes to lures.

How is the fishing in your area around June/July/August. I might visit the area and check it out myself.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 pm 

Thank you very much Maruthu,

Anytime you are welcome here.....
The reel I have has a smooth drag for sure, and I will surely buy the lures you ave suggested, the Reel is of a brand from MAIJO may not be a good quality but i just wanted to get it at a low budget for learning basics before moving to costly things.
And just for a information i would like to know how long can i cast a lure, which you have suggested.

As far the information from some experienced fishermen in my area is that the availability of fishes in shores are very less.
And i have never seen any fishermen fishing with lures. all of them bait the fishes (Live Baits for bigger fishes)

The idea of all the fishermen in my area is that lures are only god for trolling.
So it is good sign for me.

Please guide me through for a good fishing knowledge.

Regards
-Sathya

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm 
Fishaholic

sathya.sniper wrote:
Thank you very much Maruthu,
The idea of all the fishermen in my area is that lures are only god for trolling.
So it is good sign for me.

This is what they told me to as well initially and they had their fun seeing me with lures.
But after seeing me catching fishes with lures they also started using lures.
Now every kid in the village is casting lures in the hope of getting a fish.
My spot is almost destroyed now.

With a 10 feet rod and good casting technique you can cast a Roosta 130 popper 80+ meters easily.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:25 pm 

Well said venkatesan
Even in my area people are good and familiar with Rood and reel fishing but after seeing me casting baits longer they started to think about rod and reel for fishing rather than using hand lines for fishing.

But a small luck is that the place i use to see barracudas on surface it is nearly a haunted place and there wont be anyone on the shore.

My rod has * guides and it is not so much flexible as other rods wich i see on internet videos, Is the flexibility important factor for a longer cast.

Regards
-Sathya

And is there any facility for PM facilities to share mobile numbers so that i can get some more answers for the doubts i have

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Sathya,

I am assuming that you were trying to say that your rod has 8 guides.
That should be fine. As far as flexibility, I wouldn't worry too much about anything at this point.
Let the fish that you catch let you decide on what you need in the future.

I was planning to fish that area and a place near Valinokkam around mid July.
But would prefer to have some local knowledge before I visit in terms of safety.

BTW, if you hook in to a barracuda, there are two things you have to do.
Reel in the slack and set the hook hard enough, to penetrate their hard bony jaws.
Play the fish nice and easy as they do not head for cover like GTs or Groupers.

Maruthu