->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: A samll malaber reef cod
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Last week I went for a quick trip to my native and did not miss the chance to wet the line.
After few years me and my brother got a chance to fish together.
This small grouper could not give a fight and I pulled it instantly out of the grouper hole.
Time to invest in a lighter tackle.
After sometime my brother hooked into a big one, but it managed to move inside the hole and sat there like a rock.
Though I instructed my brother not to let loose the drag, after some time he let the drag loose and the lure came out.

Attachment:
Reef_Cod.jpg

Attachment:
Reef_Cod_1.jpg

Venkatesan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done, Venkat.

I see the Halco scores again ! What lighter tackle will you be investing in?

By the way, that seems to be a Saragossa reel, how has it held up to shore fishing ? I just picked up a size 5000 for the same purpose but for smaller targets.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 am 
Fishaholic

Pretty fish venky.

Jeen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Kingfish and Jeen.

I predominantly use Halco lures from Jetty/rock, as they are the best quality lures available in India costing the least and they work very well too.
For a lighter tackle I am looking at St.croix Avid inshore 6'6" or a 7' single piece rod with lure rating of 3/8 - 3/4 ounce. Also eyeing on St.croix Legend trek rods.
Mostly I will buy a conventional rod with a low profile reel.
But at the moment I am planning to buy a surf setup. A 9 feet St.Croix Avid with Shimano stradic fk or saragosa in 5000 size.

Saragosa is a very nice reel and is a pleasure to use. I have not yet dunked it in water and not intended to do also, but last time I did fish standing in the waves.
I am very much liking it and I am sure you will also love your 5000 size reel. As I said in my earlier thread, 8000 size I a littler big and heavier than I expected.
If I had seen the reel before buying I would have bought a 6000 size reel.

Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats on the beautiful catch Venkat!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:17 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

So you are going to take up baitcasters for your lighter set up ?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:47 am 

Congrats bro, i miss that moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

Yes, I am thinking of using baitcasters. I like the compactness of baitcasting setup compared to the spinning setup.

@Sivanthi: Next time we shall enjoy the moment together.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch there Venkat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

That's a nice specimen. How do you manage to get out a grouper that hides inside rocks?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
That's a nice specimen. How do you manage to get out a grouper that hides inside rocks?

You don't (I think) :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:

If you meant after getting hooked, it is very challenging.

Except for two times I have not let the grouper return to its den. After it goes into its hide, you will feel like the lure got snagged in the rocks.

Once when I was bait fishing, the grouper took the bait and went inside it's hide. I kept the line tight for around 5 minutes and then when I let loose I felt movement and started reeling in.
I saw the fish and I managed to bring it very near to me. But in the five minutes it has chewed the line completely and when I was about to lift the line snapped.

Next time a big grouper took the lure and instantly went inside it's den. I played the game of keeping the line tight and letting it loose for some time to see any movement.
I got baked in the sun by standing in the rocks for about 20 minutes and finally I decided to let the drag loose for some time and there comes the lure alone.
Till the last time when I saw the same thing happened again I was believing that when the fish was running the hook got snagged somewhere in the rocks..

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

There are several varieties of fish that " fight dirty", that is they head for cover immediately they are hooked.

Grouper, GTs, kingfish (Australian ) ,coral trout are a few of them and the angler has to try his darnedest to head them away from cover.

One interesting titbit about getting a fish out of cover was related to me by an elderly mahseer angler who ran the pro shop at Chandigarh Golf Club.Apparently, whenever a mahseer got into cover and could not be dislodged .... he would keep a taut line and then strum upon it like a guitar!

According to him, this would annoy the fish and eventually cause it to come out of cover.

Take it for what it is worth, I personally had a great regard for this gentleman and the photos he had of mahseer caught by him were proof enough that he was a skilled angler.

Kingfish