->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

The Spring migration of Striped bass and bluefish(aka Tailor in Australia) has begun in East Coast of US. This year I didn't get a chance to fish much from the surf yet, but plan to hit hard the next few weeks. I went a couple of trips to some beaches in New Jersey and was lucky to be in a good spot when some big hungry bluefish moved in. They primarily feed on menhaden also called bunker, which is a main Spring time bait for large fish. Large poppers, large swimming lures, rubber shads, bucktail jigs and metal lures with a large profile are popular imitations of bunker. These bluefish are eating machines, chopping any bait into half with their powerful set of jaws and teeth. This beach was close to a very deep channel with some strong currents and rips. I landed about 20 bluefish on the second trip out, each anywhere between 8 and 17 pounds. I missed a lot more fish some at the hook set, some which cut the leader, and one which broke a 4x VMC treble hook!!

Sometimes fish were hitting cast after cast. I was mostly using poppers and large metal lures, and most hit at the end of the cast, followed by a strong fight, release the fish and repeat.
I had sore shoulders for the next few days. I kept two fish and they tasted good. Here are some pictures ..

Attachment:
bluefish1.jpeg

Attachment:
bluefish2.jpeg

Attachment:
bluefish3.jpeg

Attachment:
bluefish4.jpeg

Attachment:
bluefish5.jpeg

Attachment:
bluefish6.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:02 am 
Fishaholic

[smilie=coolup.gif]

Wish you more good fights and tight lines.....

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:18 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

Bluefish ( known as Tailor here in Australia) are my favourite fish to catch,due to their never say die attitude and their propensity to hit all types of lures.

I envy you as you have such fantastic bluefish action .... we would be able to catch them to not quite those sizes only on the Western coast of Australia, north of Perth.The ones we catch around Sydney are a lot smaller and a 2-4 lb tailor would be something to be happy about.

Regards,
Kingfish

P.S. Can't tell from the photos if you use wire leaders ? Tailor have sharp teeth and I have lost lures to them whenever I did not rig up accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish there Binu! Congrats!

Hope you get to catch some of those nice big spring time stripers in NJ.

Keep the reports flowing....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys !!
@Kingfish,
I don't use wire leaders generally because it decreases the strike rate for me. But on days like that of a bluefish blitz a wire leader is necessary. I use a 50lb Ande mono leader or 40lb yo zuri fluoro because they work well for striped bass.
I know you fish Canada, but if you come to US sometime send me a PM, and we can hit some trout streams or the saltwater.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu,
Going to fish hard for striped bass this Saturday.
Flounder season starts this weekend, so I may try for them during the day, and at night for some bass.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Binu.

Standing offer to fish for tailor in Sydney, rainbows in the Blue Mountains and Australian Bass in the rivers close by if you ever head this way.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi binu....congrt nice fishes . Send us more reports on bass too...happy fishing.

Regards,
Vijay

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:03 pm 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
Maruthu,
Going to fish hard for striped bass this Saturday.
Flounder season starts this weekend, so I may try for them during the day, and at night for some bass.

Binu,

Hope the fishing went well this past weekend!
Would love to hear the reports and see some pics :-)

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catches Binu. Surprising to hear a bluefish can bite through 4x hook..

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

h_venkatesan wrote:

I seriously doubt that a fish bit through that hook.
It sounds more like the hook broke during the fight.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:59 pm 
Fishaholic

lure_fisherman wrote:
h_venkatesan wrote:

I seriously doubt that a fish bit through that hook.
It sounds more like the hook broke during the fight.

Maruthu

Venkatesh,
Yeah the hook broke off during the fight. I also had some hook bends while fighting bluefish. I think the main reason for bend hook is the drag that we use is more than what I used to use. But this helps to release the fish quickly and get another one soon. Plus when you are fishing a crowded spot, you don't have much room to let the fish run. So a strong drag is recommended to avoid your fish running over others lines.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Vijay, How's fishing there?

Maruthu,
Still no bass, I caught 3 flounder on berkley gulp, with 1 being a keeper. I'll get those pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:49 pm 
Fishaholic

The bluefish are still here. So two weeks ago I had my VS200 and a 10'6 rod but didn't see much action out, so I tried for flounder and caught a few of them with 1 being a keeper. This is a pic of a 15" flounder. The minimum size to keep is 18".
I mainly fish for flounder using berkley saltwater gulp.

Attachment:
photo11.jpg

Attachment:
photo22.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:01 am 
Fishaholic

Last weekend I take a smaller 8 feet rod with a Vs 100 reel and was hoping to catch flounder and smaller bluefish. But when I went to the beach I saw everyone hooked up with bluefish. There was a good blitz for about 2 hours untill sunset. I caught about 10 fish, with the largest at 18lbs. I released all but one, which had swallowed a hopkins lure and made removal almost impossible.
Still looking for a striped bass, but these bluefish are a blast.

It was nice to catch them on a smaller rod, but I was undergunned, so at one point I stopped fishing and went back to the car to bring the larger rod, and caught a few more bluefish.

Attachment:
photo11.jpg

Attachment:
photo22.jpg

Attachment:
photo33.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:35 am 
Fishaholic

Lucky you, Binu!

What glorious bluefish/ tailor action in your area. Is flounder called fluke in the US?

By the way, I noticed that you are cushioning the Van Staal with your cap whenever you place it on the sand ...... neat idea.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catches Binu!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pics and a great report!

Thanks for sharing! Hope some stripers are waiting to eat your lure soon :-)

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:42 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Kingfish and Venkatesh!!

kingfish wrote:
What glorious bluefish/ tailor action in your area. Is flounder called fluke in the US?

Yeah the Summer flounder is also called fluke here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:50 am 
Fishaholic

lure_fisherman wrote:

Maruthu

Maruthu, no stripers for me yet. The fish that were spawning in backbays have migrated north. People are catching well from boats/kayaks though. Heard the Chesapeake fish have taken the offshore route this year.
Very few people are fishing for stripers with lures from the surf. Many serious anglers that I know have got a kayak now. So its a lot less crowded now :-)

I might fish IBSP next weekend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
lure_fisherman wrote:

Maruthu

Maruthu, no stripers for me yet. The fish that were spawning in backbays have migrated north. People are catching well from boats/kayaks though. Heard the Chesapeake fish have taken the offshore route this year.
Very few people are fishing for stripers with lures from the surf. Many serious anglers that I know have got a kayak now. So its a lot less crowded now :-)

I might fish IBSP next weekend

From what I know striper fishing folks come up with all sorts of stories when they are not catching :mrgreen:
I have a good feeling that you should be on to bass in IBSP. Besides, fishing that beach without the crowd is as pleasant as it can get :-)

Good luck!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:53 am 
Fishaholic

Binu and Maruthu,

Can you tell me if lures used in the US surf fishing for stripers and bluefish (lures such as needles, darters and bucktails) would have any relevance for surf fishing in India?

I have ordered some of each to try out in Australia but would be interested to know of your views. I have my doubts as some of these US lures imitate sand eels etc. which may not be prevalent in our waters.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Looking good Binu....great fish there...cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Binu and Maruthu,

Can you tell me if lures used in the US surf fishing for stripers and bluefish (lures such as needles, darters and bucktails) would have any relevance for surf fishing in India?

I have ordered some of each to try out in Australia but would be interested to know of your views. I have my doubts as some of these US lures imitate sand eels etc. which may not be prevalent in our waters.

Kingfish

Kingfish,

I lost the last few bucktails I had, to fish and to snags when I moved back to India. I used to fish bucktails a lot for stripers, but I did not have much left. Darters work really well in current and needle fish/darters work really well at night, but the places I fish here in India do not have much current and I don't fish much at night.

I have found some place in Tamil Nadu having a very nice drift with decent fishing. Planning to hit that place during the 15th of August long weekend. I will be fishing darters in the dark and will update you on how it goes. I fished bucktails there once, but I did not have much success with them. Cudas were hitting our poppers with terrible hookups.

I find bucktail lures to be effective near the rocks.
I have had Mangrove Jacks hit my bucktail jigs, but were not getting hooked :(

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for your reply, keep us posted after your August 15 trip.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:10 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Looking good Binu....great fish there...cheers

Thanks Bops !!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:18 pm 
Fishaholic

lure_fisherman wrote:
kingfish wrote:
Binu and Maruthu,

Kingfish

Kingfish,

I lost the last few bucktails I had, to fish and to snags when I moved back to India. I used to fish bucktails a lot for stripers, but I did not have much left. Darters work really well in current and needle fish/darters work really well at night, but the places I fish here in India do not have much current and I don't fish much at night.

I have found some place in Tamil Nadu having a very nice drift with decent fishing. Planning to hit that place during the 15th of August long weekend. I will be fishing darters in the dark and will update you on how it goes. I fished bucktails there once, but I did not have much success with them. Cudas were hitting our poppers with terrible hookups.

I find bucktail lures to be effective near the rocks.
I have had Mangrove Jacks hit my bucktail jigs, but were not getting hooked :(

Maruthu

Kingfish,
I am sure bucktails could be fished anywhere. I usually use some sort of trailer with a bucktail jig like a pork rind. But I have found recently that a soft plastic curly tail gives more action, and is easier to fish. Pork rinds are great when there are toothy fish around. But I haven't fished bucktails much in India. Maurthu mentioned he had missed some good strikes on bucktails.

Darters would also work. Most darters are bigger profile lures and they sort of zig zag randomly through current, it should be a great night time lure.

Needlefish I don't have much confidence in them.. I have caught striped bass on needlefish a couple of times, but don't throw it much. It's more of a confidence thing. But with the limited time I have fished them, they are great.
When I fished in India, I go with lures that I have good confidence in like poppers and swimming plugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree about the utility of bucktails but pork rind is not available now in the US or overseas. If you are losing curly tails, I find that the Zman curly tails will stand up to repeated hookups.

Needles and darters .... must give them a try in Aussie waters.

Regards,
Kingfish