->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:46 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hii..

I'm new to this forum and an absolute novice when it comes to fishing..

Interested mainly in saltwater fishing and wanted buy new angling gears.

Can anyone give feedback/reviews for Penn Slammer Spinning Reel 760

Kindly suggest the recommended Rod’s and Line’s; which will suitable for the above reel.

Thanks and regards,

Vinod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Go for PENN Spinfisher 650 SSM instead, but this out fit will be good for casting bait for spinning lures use a penn battle 4000 or 5000 series. Rods you shoould go for 9' surf rods good for spinning lures as well as casting bait. My personal preference will be daiwa emcast 9' surf rod. Line will be your preference. Braids are good but pricey and have their own pros and cons. For details suggestions do a quick search on this forum and you should have a good idea about it.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Dezz do you use the EMCAST ? Want to check it out, lets plan for DEWA breakwaters this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Go for PENN Spinfisher 650 SSM instead, but this out fit will be good for casting bait for spinning lures use a penn battle 4000 or 5000 series.

Cheers - DeZZ

Thanks teritex...
but i m not able to understand what exactly u wanna say.. can you please explain in little detail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Very strong reel. Lil heavy.
But very good for bait fishing.
will hold up more than 300mtrs of 30lbs mono.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:15 pm 
Fishaholic

I got one reel, penn 750 ssm and I believe its the best it can get. My suggestion to you or anyone would be to pick it up with eyes closed, it won't let you down, except that it don't have the side swith to hold the line when reel is spooled completely, but a scrunchy/rubberband work fine. Its really a very good looking golden reel too......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

vinodrm wrote:
teritex wrote:
Go for PENN Spinfisher 650 SSM instead, but this out fit will be good for casting bait for spinning lures use a penn battle 4000 or 5000 series.

Cheers - DeZZ

Thanks teritex...
but i m not able to understand what exactly u wanna say.. can you please explain in little detail?

The penn 650 ssm is a metal reel the "m" st the end of the abbreviation means it is a metal reel. as opposed to its counter part ssg where "g" is graphite. penn ssm series comes in 650/750/850/950 the 650 is a good balance when it comes to the weight of the reel, drag,line retrieve etc. now this reel coupled with a 9 feet rod will be an ideal setup for casting chunk of dead bait like sardines, ballyhoo, crab, etc.

On the other hand the penn battle series is on a lighter side but an awesomely smooth reel with thicker bail arm "Though it doe not mean much". when you want to cast lures/poppers you need to go for a lighter setup so that your arms don't get ripped off by the time you call it a day.

hope that helps....

DeZZ

Last edited by teritex on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Fishaholic

kashaif wrote:
Dezz do you use the EMCAST ? Want to check it out, lets plan for DEWA breakwaters this weekend.

Yes I have a emcast 9' but i left it in india. but still love that rod any time better then a tsunami 5 star or a penn surf rod.

Will call you on THU. I have surveyed a better spot potential of barracudas and hamours.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Looking forward to your call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

Hi Everyone

I had the same question to ask as vinod.

Is there anyone who has used the penn slammer 760 reel which is also called the 760 live liner and i guess thts the one vinod is referring to.??

well with me i plan to pair up the reel with a abu garcia 10 feet tournament spinning rod and the line i plan to use is the berkley trilene big game(monofilament) 30 lb test as the species i am hoping to target are mjs and barras.

Can anyone tell me if the line test is the right line i should be using for targeting these species? as i have heard a lot about braided lines and breakage over rocks as the area i am intending to fish around does have a lot of debris and rocks apart from trees.....

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Braveheart wrote:
Hi Everyone

I had the same question to ask as vinod.

Is there anyone who has used the penn slammer 760 reel which is also called the 760 live liner and i guess thts the one vinod is referring to.??

well with me i plan to pair up the reel with a abu garcia 10 feet tournament spinning rod and the line i plan to use is the berkley trilene big game(monofilament) 30 lb test as the species i am hoping to target are mjs and barras.

Can anyone tell me if the line test is the right line i should be using for targeting these species? as i have heard a lot about braided lines and breakage over rocks as the area i am intending to fish around does have a lot of debris and rocks apart from trees.....

Thanks

I use 50-60lbs mono leader on 30lbs mono for MJs and Rock cods.