[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Need your help on selecting Mono line - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
I am using a Abu Garcia Bruiser spinning reel with 17 Lb berkely line. I want to reduce my line weight. Can I go with 8 - 10 Lb mono? And second thing is give me some suggestion that which brand should I go for which is available in Indian market?

I read somewhere that Mustad Pro Select Monofilament is Pre Stretched Line. Can you say what is that and does it really perform well?

Regards,

Pradeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:11 am 
Fishaholic

Please tell you more about the target fish and your indented use (freshwater/saltwater).
I am using Berkley Trilene Big Game monofilament. I never had a need to look at another brand. It serves my needs very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Usually Lines are selected depending upon the size of targeted fish. There are also some factors such as maximum drag while handling a fish and total length of line required to do so. The link posted below is very informative in this case

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.p ... light=rule

I usually use branded mono line which has less dia compared to others for the same strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Venkatesan,
I go for freshwater fishing. My target fish is carp family and cat fish. I have a bamboo fishing rod and I get success with that, but my ultra modern weapon Spinning rod & reel is a big failure. As per my analysis I thought that the problem is with the line, because now days here in my place big size fish is very rare. Max is in between 1 kg. So the bamboo rod's line is simple nylon line very thin. It gets bite where as 17 Lb Berkely doesn't get any bite. Perhaps the thickness of line is not helping in case of small fishes. This was my analysis. So I wanted to reduce the line weight upto 8Lb. What you think?

Second thing about your line I read somewhere that Berkely Triline big game is for the Baitcasting reel. It doesn't keep the knot intact. But I don't know the fact. Please tell me the facts bro. What about Daiwa Triforce and Mustad Pro Select Mono?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Arefin,
I saw your link. Everybody there has explained well. But I didn't get my answer. Because they all are saying they have captured more bigger fish than the line weight they have and my problem is I have 17 Lb line and I am not getting even a bite. In my place near to my home there are no such big fish. So the bigger weight line doesn't fulfill the target. So my query was can I use 8 Lb line in my reel?

In 8 Lb line if I get a 1/2 kg fish then not a bad idea :idea:

If you can suggest some good line I may try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Pradeep Swain
As you have success with bamboo fishing rod i guess you are fishing with float suspending the hook bait. Try to make the same type of set up with your spinning rod and reel with zero balance (minimum portion of float will be above water level). Regarding dia of line, i have caught 200gm fish with 22lb line while bottom fishing. Biggies are considered as clever to not take any bait if lines are visible. If you are fishing close to bank try to use such ground bait which makes cloud of particles in water thus attracting most of the fishes in nearby area. If all of this don't work for you then consider the option of changing your line. I am using Climex line of 15.8lb and 12lb capacity which are really good ones.
regards,
arefin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Arefin, your assumption is perfect :lol: . I use floater in my bamboo rod. Even I have tried floater with my spinner rod. Can you explain little more about zero balance..... :roll: :?:

Is there any problem if I use 8 Lb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Pradeep Swain,
here i am quoting posted by Granta on may 30, 2008 about critical balancing of float.

[Thanks for the comments guys.

Hozefa, getting the float critically balanced is just adjusting the weight until the lead is just less than the buoyancy of the float. The float is almost neutrally buoyant so a fish sliding the float under will barely feel it. If you fish a standard peacock quill and there is more than 2cm showing then the fish will feel that pull. The float needs to be balanced until there is hardly any buoyancy above the water surface. Some floats have reduced diameter inserts at the top so the float is virtually neutrally buoyant with up to 2cm showing. Overweighting the float with lead close to the hook will get the float low in the water but the fish will feel the lead on the bottom as it picks up the bait. Its just a case of maximising the time before the fish ejects the bait. The trick is to get your rig as close to neutral buoyancy as possible. Split shot in small diameters is ideal but it is hard to come by in Mumbai.

If you get it right the fish will take the hook bait and not feel any pull from the float and you get a slide away take - or the fish might lift the bait until the swivel on the hook length is picked up and you get a lift take. Taking the time and care to get the float balanced and the depth accurately plumbed increases the sensitivity of the float by orders of magnitude.

Granta]

I think it will help you. There is no problem using 8lb line. Perhaps it is always better to use light line.
regards,
Arefin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Arefin, you are genius. I didn't know the value of balancing. In my thought the bobber or floater works only to give signal of fish bite, but in such a technical way....oops :roll: .

Now I have to learn more about the tying process. Thank you very much Arefin for this vital information .

Regards,

Pradeep Swain :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:35 am 
Fishaholic

I am not a genius, only an angler of student level trying to increase my knowledge of angling from what the senior member of this forum have sheared. Some of them i understood and applying but some are still over my head.
Regards,
Arefin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Pradeep Swain, I predominantly fish saltwater and have no professional experience in fresh water fishing. There is nothing like a line for bait casting and another one for spinning reel. In fact I am using the line on spinning reel.
If the fishes are around 1 kg, 8lb line should definitely be fine.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi & thanks Venkatesan for your reply. Its nice to know that you have expertise in saltwater :-) I heard that in saltwater fishing chances are high to get a fish. Is this true? For sea fishing do you choose any specific type of place, like rocky or weedless.....or you can cast a crank bait from shore.....?

Regards,

Pradeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

It is very difficult to compare freshwater and saltwater fishing as the environment, the fish and the techniques used are very different. Having said that if you can spot a school of fish the chances of catching a fish are high.
Spotting a school of feeding fish is the difficult process in saltwater fishing. Yes we have to choose specific structures along to shore (like a jetty, rocky patch, a cut in the sandbar) to effectively fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks again Venkatesan for your reply :-) . The information is quite interesting. Hopefully in future we will discuss on lots of fishing topic.

TL,

Pradeep.