->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: catla fishing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:14 am 

16-11-14, kgp te night-day machh dhorte giye6lam,raat 1pm somoy 12 theke 14 kg.machh hookete lege6lo,net korar somoy akta cementer bostha te lege khule jai,ami ja kichu bybohar kore6lam-chholar chhattu+vuttar chhattu+narkel ponch+bakhor sada+madhu+ghee+makhon gaad+ants egg+haria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Roy,
Sorry for the lost fish. Your bait is ok for catla. Here I am also using the same bait except the bakhor. Bighead carps also takes this bait with lots of ant eggs. As all the members of this forum are not from Bengal pls try to post in proper English. Better luck next time.
Regards,
Arefin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm 

Hi,
Firstly I request you to post in English as other language is not allowed. I am just surprised by the size of the fish as I know in the pass ponds, there are rarely any big fish. You are very lucky at least to hook such big fish and feel the pull. If you are from Midnaur please pm me. Best luck for next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:17 pm 
Enlightened

bad luck!!!!
Where is kgp? Is it kharagpur?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Dream fish,
Every pass lake of larger size, where netting is not done having some big sized old fish. Some of them are monsters. The problem is all these biggies are very much aware of hook and baits. They will come to your ground baited area, eat your ground bait and don't touch your hook baits. Some of them are hooked earlier and some how managed to escape. Seldom some of them are hooked but most of the time anglers can't manage them to land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:01 pm 

Arefin,
You are right. I am from Midnapur and know about the mentality of both owner and anglers here. Here fish is caught to kill even of 50gm size and the price of ticket is around 1200-1500 rupees per day. 90% of the water bodies have been leased out for commercial fishing. Only some left to the owner who likes to have big fish and does not allow for angling as here all we are fisherman not angler. I regularly goes to the local tackle shop and discuss about angling. They once said to minimize the radius of the landing net as there is no such big fish. Here suceess is compared with the price of the ticket not to the enjoy and thrill. Hoping for better future and dream of a big fighting fish on the end of my tight line splashing its big tail to give thanks for release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Dream Fish,
Situation of all the pass lakes are almost same in everywhere. In dhaka i am frequently going to three pass lakes. Two of them having very few old fish of 5kg plus. But surely they have 20kg+ size fish as I have seen them being landed. These bigges are very very few, hardly one or two being landed in a season. As these two lakes are run by some authorities they are not introducing new fish of sufficient quantity regularly. The third one is run by an angling association. They introducing some good sized fish of 1.5 to 3.0 kg along with the babies to keep the regular anglers interested. All these lakes has something in common, foul hooking is done by the meat collectors, sattu is being used extensively and here also success is compared with price of ticket plus additional costs. I think if pass lakes are run by angling association of good minded people, everyone is restricted to clear baits and catch limit is introduced, current situation may be change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:56 pm 

Arefin,
I am privileged to go to the banks of river subarnarekha often to see the big predator fish like boal (wallago), cheetal (knife fish) and also small fish like bata, bhangan, chela etc. River was full of aar( catfish), big prawn and various types of fish. But the greed of local fisherman just murdered them by super fine net in the breeding season, destroying the natural breeding places and even using poison. I interact with the fishermen and local fish sellers. They are not at all aware of the conservation. They are just aware of making money. They just give the reason 'peter daye'. This year I can not see the big fish in the market or in the river. They just disappeared. Hope they are still in the river in a safe place and fighting for survival. But practically in Bengal where fish is must for a meal no hope for big fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

Dream fish,
The superfine net used to catch fish is banned now in Bangladesh. But fishermen are still using it. Also fishing at important rivers in breeding season is banned. By taking different awareness programs and giving punishment against fishing in breeding season, current situation is much improved. River police is formed in important places and they are monitoring everything. Government is trying to give some money to the fishermen as a compensation for not fishing during breeding season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:22 pm 

Arefin,
I have heard about the initiatives taken by the authority in newspapers but that is perhaps to protect the fish hilsa, not much for the other rare species like bele, kajri, chela, khaira, sarputi, gajar etc. But the initiative has help them also. All comes from the economics with the hilsa. Not from the conservation point of view. In Sundays Anandabazar, a renowned newspaper have published the crisis of the fishermen and businessman in connection with the fingerlings business of fish. We have no hope on the other side of the Ganges. My children may not inherit at least to see many species in water due to our ignorance.
With great optimistic hope that the situation may be changed and fisherman will not to have take other profession.