->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Dam fishing help
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:01 pm 

Anybody here has fished in Dam ? If yes was it shore fishing or deep inside ? And what kind of baits are used for both ?
Thankyou. :D

Post subject: Re: Dam fishing help
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:23 pm 

Nobody ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

How to lose a new member, shame on us.

Ajinkya, I have sporadically fished dams in various places around the world, primarily with lures.

You can fish both from the shore and if you have a boat( or can hire one) then it is possible to fish the deeper waters by trolling a lure .... some big fish can be caught from the depths.

It is of course easier to shore fish with lures or bait but the catch may be smaller in size. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Just go out there and try ... there is no substitute for experience in this life.

Good luck,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

Ajinkya, which dams are you looking at?
Both ways are productive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

I haven't fished much in freshwater.
But, if I had to pick a spot and fish a dam, I'll find a spot with a lot of weed cover that can be accessed and fished for murrel.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Ajinkya,

When I last fished Bhakra Dam in Punjab, there were scores of shore anglers using hand lines, with atta as bait.They would catch Mahseer ranging up to 1kilo max. and keep them for the pot (unfortunately).

However, using a boat and trolling a Firetiger Rapala I was catching them upto twice the size by being a few meters further out from them.

When I moved out to the really deeper water, trolling a deep diving Halco lure, the fish size grew much larger, with a 10 kilo Mahseer lost at the boat and several large ones that broke off.

So this is a real life depiction of fishing a dam, showing how depth and distance can have a bearing on the size of fish you catch.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:23 pm 

At first I welcome you to this forum. I have just little experience of fishing in dam. From that I can say that Fishing in dam is a difficult proposition than in other still fresh water. Water body is vast, depth is variable and target species should be specific. Predator species roam in shallow water near the margin and school of big carps generally stays at the depth towards the middle far enough from the shore. Generally fishing in dam is from the shore as permission is needed for using boat. You have to regularly groundbaited the area deep enough and at least 80 ft away from shore with masala and sufficient food for 3-4 days. Then with feeder rig or six to eight hook (not recommended ethically) with bolt rig set up and ladoo bait try to catch. The ingredients and process of making bait are available in many posts. You can use earth worm also. The key to success is regular free ground baiting in the same spot without disturbance and put your bait in long distance. Minimum four rods to be used to increase the chance. The target species is carp.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:53 am 

hi Ajinkya .... Welcome to Indian Angler.!!
Since u are from pune... i guess u would want to fish in the Dam around. First findout the species of fishes u want to fish for. If u fishing from the shores; then u got to find a shore with lots of stones underneath.... u will find Bam, murrel near the rocky edges. Both can be caught with earthworms using a float. Murral can also be caught with lures.... I use a copper handmade spoon. if u targeting Catla or Rohu then u got to prebait an area for 2 to 3 days and then u can try catching them. if u r interested in tilapia.... then fishing with earthworm at the surfaces a few feet from the shores will get u success. I have noticed that tilapia can be drawn to a particular place using cooked white rice to prebait 2-3 hours before u try catching them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:04 pm 

Thanks a lot guys !! I hope all these suggestions help me.. I mostly fish in deep coz I think chances of shore fishing are less and I'm interested in big fish only. There are pretty big fish around here from 5-20 kilos. I have limited baits as I don't get to shop online and when I go to goa which is like once in 2 years I buy some baits. I have some baits which might help me as I havent tried them yet bcoz of my exams. My worst fear is snagging and I cant afford to lose a lure. I have 2 rods and 3 reels.. I need to buy a new rod now. I caught a 1 kilo katla b4 with a lure which dives 9 feet down. . It seems that fish only start biting the lure in that dam after 5:30 pm.. If I need help ill contact again.. thanks again guys.. Earthworms dont help though.. Any solutions for snags bcoz there are trees down there and the depth is 10-200 feet..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

Ajinkya Jadhav,
You have caught Catla using a lure, if it really happened! Which lure you have used, can you post a picture of your catch. Catla having 9% insect in its food list, we never tried any lure for catching this fish.
Regards,
Arefin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:16 pm 

Oh so sorry guys !! I got confused between the species. Its not katla but khadshi. The locals call it Khadshi. I don't have a picture right now as I dont have my laptop in pune. Its in satara. Once my exams get over I'll post a picture of lure and fish too !! I don't know the scientific name or common name of khadshi. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:42 pm 
Fishaholic

when shore fishing prebaiting is a good idea, cooked rice with sweetcorn is a good holding bait
plenty of food generally attracts bigger fish, i was once told, to understand fish behaviour we should watch the birds
throw out the rice and usually its small birds first followed by the bigger ones and as the big birds fly past and see the others feeding, they can be tempted to join... so set yourself up by pre-baiting a good few days before you cast a line... and its best not to let anyone see you doing it, else when you arrive to fish, your space may already be taken... if you have pre-baited with rice and sweetcorn, then use sweetcorn as your hookbait... good luck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 am 

Oh.. thanks a lot !! I will certainly try this out !! When I'll be boat fishing then I'll use soft plastics and do jigging and when I'll shore fish I'll try out lures first bcoz its easier and fast amd if no results then I'll try out the organic bait method as you suggested :) .. I dont have a jighead (hook with weight on its top where you put soft plastics in it and use) any other substitute or option for jig head ? I didn't find any jig heads near by at all.. jig head is the only option for me to use my soft plastics for correct technique.. anything you guys suggest for making a jig head or using something as weight on the hook ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

You can just hook the soft plastic on any hook and use an inline sinker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:37 am 

Can you please send a picture of inline sinker so I can get an idea of it ? Ty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Something like this.

https://knoji.com/images/user/10054.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:57 pm 

Oh !! But I don't have any. :( Do you know any store other than fishing store that sell these weights ? Or any other substitute for lead weight ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:34 pm 
Enlightened

Weight is also an important part of fishing, weightless is better if possible, OR use as light as possible.
Three reasons are experienced by my self.
1. Fish never accepts more weight than the baits actual weight, fish judges at that point and vomits or rejects the bait.
2. When fish strokes the bait and if the weight holds the bait (not let's bait to move with fish) then the bait looses from hook and fish thanks u for feeding.
3. If shape of the sinker is not round then there are cent percent chances of getting stuck of sinker with stones or other waste.

It's true that weightless fishing is great but if the flow of water is high OR bait is weightless OR if the water is so deep, in such situations we haven't substitute except use of weight. USE WEIGHT AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE.

AbuAhmed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:31 pm 

I didnt understand the 2nd point. . Thanks for the info !! Very useful and helpful indeed.. I'll be fishing in deep water so need weight.. how much weight shud be put on soft plastics ? Soft plastics dont have weight at all so need to buy lots of weights. .and some split shots too..but for the soft plastics to sink 100feet to 200 feet below also needs kind of heavy weight right ? Dam is deep na so..what will u suggest ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:03 pm 
Enlightened

2nd point I was talking about natural baits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 pm 

Brother.... 100 =200 ft deep !!! what fish u gonna get that deep .... get urself clear..u gotta get shore fishing .... at the most 20-40 ft deep.... or if ur trolling then too u just need to have ur lure/bait about 10-15 ft deep. That my view. Would appreciate if any other forum member had a different view. so ppl be kind enuff to elaborate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:45 pm 

Don't know whats that name of that species but there are definitely large fish in the middle or bottom. I can assure u that. Trolling is my only option now and I wish I catch some. Will be going for fishing on 3rd April !! I'm definitely going to try shallow water fishing. With spinners or soft plastics or hard lures.. lets see what happens. I'll definitely post it here if I catch some. My only fear for deep water fishing is snags as there can be trees underneath. And I might lose my fish amd lure :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:47 pm 

I only have one lure which goes 9feet deep and I caught 1 lbs fish khadshi with that !! (Trolling with that lure) I dont have any other lure which goes deep. Can somebody post a link where I can lures which dive deep enuf plz ty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:24 pm 
Enlightened

Hi jadhav
Have best of luck on 3rd of April, plz read the post of oncebitten13 once again, second thing is that WHY you not try to make your own lures, not tried myself yet. But it seems easy by light weight wood. Fear of snags is a fact but what you do if you lost it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 pm 
Enlightened

Hi mate,
I got one more solution for your fear, just replace treble hooks of lure into single hook. It decreases the chance of sticking into trees up to 70%

Visit this

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/comm ... ngle-hooks

AbuAhmed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 pm 

Thanks a lot guys !! Helped me a lot.. I saw many videos on how to make homemade lures but it needs specific equipment which is unavailable.. Any website for deep diving lures ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:38 pm 
Enlightened

Yes, you can visit this website.
http://learnhowtomakefishinglures.blogs ... t.html?m=1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 am 

I dont know how to add an image in this site..plz help..wanna upload the pic of lure

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

The easiest lures to make at home are Spoons.
Just get some of those heavy spoons, break the handle and file.
Get holes drilled from a work shop. Add a treble and swivel with split rings.

These spoons are very productive for Mulley and Murrel.

Regards,
Humaid