->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Lure fishing for carp
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:50 pm 

Can we use lure for Carp fishing, if so which type of lure and how much is the success rate of using lure in carp fishing

Umakanta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:20 pm 
Enlightened

Depending on the type of Carp, you can use flies to lure them.

Fly fishing has evolved into a very effective way to target carps like Mahseer, Common Carp, Mirror Carp and Grass Carp. I have seen some pictures and heard of stories wherein a Mrigal Carp was caught on fly, but not sure if it was targeted or rather a by-catch. In either case, you should be able to adapt your technique to target Mrigal as well.

I have not fished for Carp using conventional lures, but I am guessing it might be difficult to do so given their feeding behavior. But if someone has please enlighten me! Not much help there.

Fairly recently (< 4 days ago) I have been successful in targeting some massive Grass Carp in the local Bayou system using terrestrial dry flies (top water lure). Although I was let down by the fight as I was hoping that there would be screaming runs, I was able to land but one given some hard fights. So I can confidently tell you that you can target them using flies.

(NOT ME)

I have also on occasion been able to target some Common Carp while tailing (feeding) to come inspecting a well presented fly. After being connected a couple of times, I couldn't keep enough pressure on it owing to my light setup and fish broke off both times. So you not only need effective technique, but also need robust tackle.

(Unforunately NOT ME)

The Mahseer from the above list can be targeted using a conventional tackle and from my research a 30g copper, silver and gold spoons with robust hooks should be able to do the trick. A ton of brits fishing in the Himalayas have consistently caught 40-lb Golden Mahseer and some smaller Copper/Chocolate Mahseer using this setup. From watching some videos I can also say that similar setup has worked well for Kaveri river Mahseer, both Humpback and Bluefin version.

But as far as Rohu or Catla are concerned, I have not seen or heard of either of them being targeted with fly or conventional lure. Boy I hope someone cracks this someday!

I hope this helps you on your quest to targeting them freshwater torpedoes in India. Hope to catch one someday in my home country. Best of luck and do let us know how it goes.

Cheers and tight lines!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 am 

Hi
The carps ive fished are Mahseer, rohu and catla. I know for sure that Mahseer will take a spoon easily. Casting with a copper spoon is the best in my opinion...we angler in my hometown and around make those spoons ourselves. I find that using a smaller spoon is better as compared with larger spoons as the waters are bound to have fish of small and big size. The big spoon will be taken only by larger fishes...so i use small spoons that are about 2 inches in length and an inch width. Polishing the spoons makes them shinier and hence increases the hit rates. Ive heard that even rohu will take a spoon...but its rare and only heard of it...never caught one on lure. I know that catla are very cautious at feeding and hence feel that you cannot hook one on a lure or a spoon.
The Mahseer will take all type of spoons and inline spinners. Another method that i used recently to increase my chances of hooking a mahseer was... i chucked a lot of sukdi (I think that its same as sattu powder) in the area that i cast. I found that the mahseer were around soon and i got successful 3 consecutive days of casting.

Hope this helps.