->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Mahseer anglers,

I was just wondering what rod/reel/line combination would anglers, who have fished the Ramganga river, recommend?

I am presently contemplating taking 2 outfits:

. Shimano Beastmaster 9ft travel rod rated 50-100 gm as my "heavy rod", with a Saltist 4500H reel which has a fast 6:1 ratio , good for spinning lures.

. Shimano Exage 8ft travel rod rated 15-40 gm as my "light rod", with a Clash 5000 reel because of its light weight and good line capacity.

My hosts, Himalayan Outback, have given a very comprehensive list of lures to bring .... which I find to be a bit overpowering. Any opinions on some "must have" lures would be appreciated .

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:02 pm 
Enlightened

Hello Kingfish

Can't help you there, but would dearly love to hear all details of the trip as am very keen to do it myself.

All the best

Lakhyaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

@Lakhyaman

Hopefully, I should be able to write a report with pictures after the trip, towards the end of this year. One has to wait until the monsoons are over and the rivers are running clear.

Regards,

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kingfish, Misty is very experienced and if you manage to have him as your guide, there is no doubt that you will do well with mahseer.

I have had good luck on the Ramganga with Acme lil cleo spoons in silver and gold medium size. Rubber shads with a good tail action like the ones from Storm should do well.

Cheers and tight lines.

Bopanna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Bopanna,

Thank you for the information. Misty had recommended the same lures that you used as well as the Tsunami range of soft plastics, plus a list of some 10-15 other types of lures!

All of these have to have their treble hooks removed and replaced with single, barbless hooks .... which is quite an undertaking but I will do it gladly for the sake of catch and release.

Looking at the videos on YouTube, it seems that the Ramganga is relatively small and more sedate than the Saryu and Mahakali rivers.

Just wondering if my " heavy" outfit may be overgunning for the fishing? Please let me know your views on this.

Furthermore, will changing the trebles to single hooks on say the Jointed Rapalas not affect their action?

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:35 am 
Fishaholic

Would appreciate a reply to my queries.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

@IndianAngler,

Pm sent to you.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:15 pm 
Enlightened

Kingfish,

I've been carrying out a bunch of research myself regarding the Mahseer up north with Himalayan Outback. Seems like even for fly fishing they're requirements are sufficient to land a 100+ lb Tarpon using a 12WT rod. I am seeming to think like you whether we're asked to outgun the fish as you put it.

But I've also heard of tales where the hooks getting bent and losing the fish. May be it's the flow which requires them to one-up on the usual requirements to catch a 45lb+ (I'm guessing anything over this number would be a trophy category).

If you don't mind, could you please PM the list of requirements sent to you by Himalayan Outback? If I look at the lure color and types, may be that I can tying flies using the right hooks etc. I'd appreciate if if you could do this.

Best of luck with your preparations and yes... tight lines!

Cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:01 am 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun

Hello, nice to hear from you .... was getting a bit miffed at a lack of response to my query on rod sizes, this despite being a senior member on the forum!

I then decided to contact Misty Dhillon at Himalayan Outback directly on this issue and he has confirmed that in the month of October the Ramganga water levels are high, so the heavier rod would be required in addition to the lighter rod for spinning.

The list sent to me by Himalayan Outback is for spin fishing only and I am very sure that they have a list for fly fishing as well ( Misty is a keen fly fisher and has tied various patterns specifically for Mahseer), so it may be better to contact them and ask for their specific recommendations for the fly fishing gear.

The information sent to me by them also states that flies tied specifically by them for local conditions can
be purchased " from the camp/lodge manager upon your arrival.Price US$ 2-4 (per fly)."

Hope this helps and you are able to obtain more information from them.Let me know if I may be able to help further.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:16 pm 
Enlightened

@Kingfish.

Information much appreciated. Would you happen to have the color and type of lures he's asked you to procure? I'll be interested to see what he recommends for the spin fishermen. I've been trying to find online and I watched a video by this old Brit who said anything golden will work.

I'm under the impression, that anything shining gold/silver in the range of treble hook size 2/0 and 4/0 should work. But like you suggest I will get with Misty.

Long time ago when I was researching for the same, I came across a blog by a Brit who traveled south to catch a Humpback Mahseer. He has posted in detail of the tackle he had carried and what was used by the camp manager (another Brit).

He posted something about "Fox Trek Tarpon Rod" and how it outmatched the old Shimano surf-rod used by the manager. I forget the name of this Shimano rod and while I searched when I read this it was out of production, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

My $0.02 and hope it helps you out.

Cheer.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:32 pm 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun

Ok, the lure list is for 22 different types of lures and there are some 10 differing colour combinations and sizes that are specified for them. It will be quite time consuming to replicate this list ,so if you are able to obtain it from Himalayan Outback then it will be easier.

I am also a bit leery of sending their information,provided to me as their client, on to a third party ..... I hope you understand.

However, you are quite right that gold and silver colours are quite dominant in their recommendations.

I do own a couple of the Fox Trek rods but these were a bit too strong for freshwater and are really kept for sea fishing by me.

I do thank you for the trouble you have taken in researching the rods for me.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun

A complete list of lures, colours and sizes ( similar to that sent to me by Himalayan Outback) can be accessed if you Google "Rods for Mahseer".

The very first response ( by vel-travel.com ) has a 5 page PDF from Himalayan Outback giving the above information, which may be downloaded.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Lures for Mahseer

A very wide subject as anglers have successfully caught Mahseer on different lures, a point reflected in the large list of lures I have been asked to bring with me to the Ramganga camp.

I have made up my lure box with a preponderance of the lures as per the list but added quite a few lures that I have caught Mahseer with in Bhakra as well as the Cauvery river on some previous trips.

It is best to carry more lures than you will need, one does not know which one's will work on a given day and you would hate it if you ran out of the lure that is catching all the fish.

One can always bring back the extra lures or exchange them with fellow anglers.

Hope to report on the one's that worked for me later on.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

Soft plastics

Yet more lures .... I have been asked to bring several different types and sizes of soft plastic lures for Mahseer.

I managed to get a supply of Tsunami soft plastics and hope to report back on how these performed, later on.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 pm 
Enlightened

@kingfish

Understood and got it. Appreciate the info and the search.

Cheers....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:06 am 
Fishaholic

Feedback

I now feel, after my recent trip, that with the lower water levels in the Ramganga in late October and November, an 8ft long rod attached to a size 4000 reel with 30 lb. braid is quite adequate.

The guide did replace my heavier 30 lb fluorocarbon leader with a 17lb leader, as he stated that with the water being very clear, the Mahseer would be spookier.

The only place where a heavier rod/reel may be needed on the Ramganga during the above months would be for fishing the deep pools, where some heavier specimens may be lurking.

I would say that if you are after Goonch, then the heavier setup is mandatory.

Hope this helps any one contemplating a trip to that area in the future.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kingfish, how did the soft plastics fare? Some pics of your Tsunami plastics would be nice.

Cheers
IA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:35 am 
Fishaholic

@IA

Although I did not catch any Mahseer during this particular trip, the Tsunami soft plastic had several hits when I fished it in a deep pool.

As mentioned in my trip report, at one stage the lure came back with a Mahseer scale stuck on the hook.
Gives me confidence to use these soft plastics again when I go Mahseer fishing.

Attached is a picture of some of the Tsunami soft plastics.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 am 
Fishaholic

As I took the above picture with my ipad, it may appear upside down ... from past experience ! If so, I have learnt how to correct this fault now, so here goes....... do let me know if it worked.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Nope, it did not work still upside down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:03 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Venkat.

This was an earlier picture taken directly with my ipad. I now take all pictures with an iPhone and airdrop them to the ipad without any issues.

The iPhone of course is more portable and goes with me when fishing.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
As I took the above picture with my ipad, it may appear upside down ... from past experience ! If so, I have learnt how to correct this fault now, so here goes....... do let me know if it worked.

Kingfish

Please bring 'em to the west coast [smilie=ohyeah.gif]