->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:08 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Giving Tackle to Locals
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:09 pm 
Fishaholic

There is always this dilemma Anglers face when fishing about places in India where some of the locals who tag along and sometimes help you out ask for tackle, especially sometimes to a place where you go regularly and form a relationship with a person there who likes to fish, while i do not mind giving hooks and and line I have do not give them lures, rods and reels. At least not any more, the question I have is have you all been faced with this situation and what would you do or feel like doing?

The reason I give them Hooks and line is so that they can continue fishing the way they have and it is not so much of a cost to me, and the damage they do is pretty much the same as they would do if I did not give them.

I do not like giving them more than that, or even teaching them because I have seen places emptied out. They very well seem to learn how to catch fish but somehow do not learn the boundaries and where to draw the line.

Please share your thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm 
Fishaholic

I am facing this situation regularly in my native place. For the people I am not very familar with, I will say a strict 'no'.
But it is the people whom you interact with regularly can be an issue and I solve this using the ultra cheap "Halco laser pro duplicate".
I give the duplicate lure very reluctantly so that they will not ask again. The other thing is never show your lure collection to them.

As far as using lures, they are very well adopted to it now. The local store sells duplicate lures and they handline using it.
There was a time when they use to make fun of me about using lures from the shore..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Locals making fun of lures this is always the case, till you catch something...then everything changes.

I remember the first time I went deep sea fishing from Bandra offshore trolling large lures, the guys were quietly chuckling, that is till we landed a nice Cobia, then they were actually scared, because the boat was not really a good one and they were worried if we landed something really big, it would damage the boat, we were over 26NM off the coast. Then we had an accident and had to turn back....

Back to the topic, I have seen locals who were given tackle, lures, Rod and reel really rape the place, because these guys had nothing to do, they were jobless, fished morning and then afternoon to Night literally and almost daily. They sold the fish they caught to make a living from it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

This is a situation that one does not face in the more affluent countries.

I get the most satisfaction out of giving a rod, reel and lures to youngsters so that they can start fishing.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I do not give tackle anymore to the jobless guys that are wandering around in fishing spots.
I don't even talk to them about what I caught the fish with and keep my lures out of sight if possible.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 pm 
Enlightened

Sorry for bad english!!
I agree that, but my nature is helping and cos of that I was lost a box filled with hooks and sinker last month(around 60hooks).
It happened cos I forget to restore the hook box into my fishing bag, it was around 11pm and surrounding was dark.
Next day I remembered that, it was too late.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

lure_fisherman wrote:
I do not give tackle anymore to the jobless guys that are wandering around in fishing spots.
I don't even talk to them about what I caught the fish with and keep my lures out of sight if possible.

Maruthu

Agree