->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 am 
Fishaholic

On my recent barra trip to the Kimberley region in Australia, I was advised prior to my departure from Sydney to ensure that I tied on 100lb leaders to my braid lines.

I was a bit taken aback as I had normally used 40-60 lb leaders for such fishing, whether in India or Australia . So I double checked with the fishing outfit and they reconfirmed that 100lb leader would be
required as they had some very large Barramundi in their area.

I tried tying a 100lb leader ( Black Magic fluorocarbon) to a 40lb braided line first with the FG knot but did not have confidence in it. So then I tried the Surgeon knot (of which Bops is a proponent) but it came out lumpy and would not pass through the tip guide.

I also tried using the Double Uni knot but it also came out lumpy and it would also not pass through the tip guide.

I gave up and switched to a 40 lb leader ..... which was contemptuously discarded by the guide as soon as he checked my gear.

He then tied on a 100lb leader within a minute using the Bimini knot, which I find too complicated to tie.

My question is, how many of you have ever used 100lb leaders and what knot do you use to tie it on?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Have a look at this - https://www.saltwaterexperience.com/blo ... ent-leader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

@ IndianAngler

Yes, I have seen the above video. It essentially shows tying lighter lines of 20-30 lbs to leaders of
40 lb or so and I have used most of the knots shown therein at one time or another. No problem there.

My issue is with a far stronger ( read thicker) leader of 100 lb and the fact that most of these knots will create a lump at the join which will not go through the tip guide.

I don't anticipate ever using such a heavy leader again and frankly, if I do, I would simply ask the guide to tie it with the Bimini knot for me.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,
I mostly use shorter leaders, 4 feet or less and use a swivel for the braid to fluoro connection. But I am not a fan of tying knots on anything over 60lb fluoro.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

With using a swivel, I am always worried about it inadvertently passing through the guides and
chipping or damaging them in some fashion.

Do you have this problem?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

I have accidentally reeled the swivel through the rod tip few times mostly at night, but that hasn't damaged the tip for me yet. With shorter leaders you rarely reel it past the swivel.
I also usually use the Spro 230lb or 130lb rated swivels for saltwater because they are not that big for their strength, and with some of the rods with the low profile guides they wouldn't pass through the rod tip easily.

Regards,
Binu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:09 am 
Fishaholic

Binu,

I may order and keep a packet of the Spro heavy rating swivels you mentioned. Would be useful if there is no guide to tie a Bimini twist for me.

One usually does not need a long leader to catch Barramundi or MJs.

Regards
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Binu,

I may order and keep a packet of the Spro heavy rating swivels you mentioned. Would be useful if there is no guide to tie a Bimini twist for me.

Regards
Kingfish

As far as I know Bimini twist will make a end loop in the braid and it has to be connected with the leader using a knot like Cats Paw.
In you case how was it connected to the leader? Does that not created a lump?

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

I frankly cannot remember how the leader was joined to the Bimini loop, perhaps it was an Improved
Albright.

Whatever it was, it went through the guides smoothly and seemed to be quite a slim joint.

You can just make out this joint on IMG.3045 in my Kimberley Barramundi report of 13 June 2018.
You have to enlarge the picture and look at the top right hand corner .... you will see the clear leader going up and then joining to the braid.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Venkat,
You have to enlarge the picture and look at the top right hand corner .... you will see the clear leader going up and then joining to the braid.
Kingfish

I could see the leader joining to braid, but could not see the knot and it is fuzzy..
Whenever I have tried and Albright/Albrito/Improved knot, it has got stuck on the guides, perhaps my guides were very smaller...
Now I have got used to FG knot very well and I can tie one on the spot in a couple of minutes..

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Fortunately, the line plus leader was still on the reel spool!

So I managed to take some clearer pictures to show the Bimini and the leader knot ... as you can see, it is very small and neat for a 100 lb leader joined to braid.

I had no issues with the knot and it travelled through the tip guide on the Ugly Stik without any problem.
The 100 lb leader had absolutely no nicks on it despite the lure going through very heavy cover
( downed tree branches and rocks ) whenever I checked it.

If I can find out the type of joining knot and learn the Bimini Twist, I would not mind going to a heavy leader.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Bimini Twist in braid, joined to 100lb leader.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

What lb test line and leader are you tying with the FG knot?

From my experience, it is a suitable knot for upto 40-50lb braid joined to perhaps upto 60 lb Fluoro leaders, which easily covers 90% of the fishing done by most of us.

The problem arises if you go to leaders of 100lb and above, say when you are after GTs in the Andamans where they easily weigh 40-50 lbs or when you are after barra that are in dense cover and
weigh considerably more than your average barras.

I have had enough issues with the FG knot, especially when tying heavier leaders, to switch back to a double UNI knot ....... no matter how carefully I tie the FG knot and pull it as tight as possible.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Venkat,

What lb test line and leader are you tying with the FG knot?

From my experience, it is a suitable knot for upto 40-50lb braid joined to perhaps upto 60 lb Fluoro leaders, which easily covers 90% of the fishing done by most of us.
Kingfish

As you said, I am using leader from 40-60 pound as I don't feel the need for any heavier leaders even from jetties. Sure the heavier leader helps but they have their own consequences.
I have never tried fg knot with any heavier leaders, but I feel there should be no issues. I had seen once my friend using 130 pound leader with FG knot, no issues.

kingfish wrote:
Venkat,

The problem arises if you go to leaders of 100lb and above, say when you are after GTs in the Andamans where they easily weigh 40-50 lbs or when you are after barra that are in dense cover and
weigh considerably more than your average barras.

Kingfish

Once I had handled a monster GT (it was bigger than me) with a 40 pound mono line on a penn spinfisher. I could not land it as the line got stuck on a rock just seconds before landing after a huge battle. On the other instance I did put brake on the 1 meter Barra (~13.5 Kg) without giving line (because of the proximity to rocks) on a 30 pound braid and 40 pound leader. It is really odd for me to think about using a leader greater than 60 pounds. Even with 50 pound leader I had tough time breaking the leader during the odd times when the lure got stuck in the rocks. The other reason is even the 200 pound leaders are no match for laser sharp edges of the arthropods on the rocks.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

These guys fish day in day out for very large barras in the Lower Ord River and use 100lb leaders, so I guess they must know what they are doing.

I did question their use of such heavy leaders and apparently it is the gill rakers of the Barramundi which will slice through the lighter leaders, perhaps not so much the rocks or sunken timber.

By the way, I have emailed the guide to find out what knot he used with the Bimini, will let you know when he answers.

Kingfish