->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:52 am 
Fishaholic

Keen followers of angling gear will perhaps be aware that Penn have recently launched a newer version of their popular Spinfisher series of reels.

The new model is named the Spinfisher VI (or Spinfisher 6) and it is quite a radical departure from the
older model.

The main feature is that it has a comprehensively sealed body and spool, rated to IPX 5 standard.
This stands for "Ingress Protection", meaning that the reel is protected against reasonable sand and
water intrusion into its internal parts.

In practical terms, I have seen on YouTube the reel being buried in sand and then swished clean in the ocean and immediately put into action, without any issues whatsoever. It will be able to withstand a firm hosing after use, without fear of water finding its way into the innards of the reel.

The manufacturers are at pains to emphasise that this does not mean that the reel can withstand usage
under water ( something relevant to striper anglers in the USA). However, for us it means that if we are
shore fishing, say in Goa or Chennai on a windy day, then spray and sand being blown around and any
saltwater splashes on this reel will not be of concern .... we can go home and just hose the reel with fresh water and it will be as good as new.

The second new feature is that that it uses CNC gear technology, which makes the gears more
" durable,smooth, precise ". The reel really does feel smooth when the handle is turned, with none of the stiffness encountered from the sealed components that one would expect.

The Spinfisher VI was on sale here in Australia a few days ago and I was able to pickup the 4500 model
at a very good price. The reel was on sale at A$199 but one could avail of a $30 discount, so the price
came down to $169.

Included with the offer was a free 150 meter braid line (Fireline Ultra8 Carrier), which retails for $35 in
the store.

This was by far cheaper than anything in the US, where the reel would have cost A$ 220 with shipping costs not included. In any case, the US online retail giant does not ship to Australia anymore.

contd.....

Last edited by kingfish on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:04 am 
Fishaholic

So how come I chose the 4500 size?

I fish a lot from the boat here in Australia, whether I am after Barramundi in the mangrove lined rivers of the North or after queen fish and tuna on the ocean. So this is a good sized reel for my purposes.

On the return journey or when going from one location to another at speed, the boat throws up a lot of spray onto the rod and reel, which are usually standing upright in a holder on the gunwale. This can cause problems if the rod/reel are not attended to immediately upon return to the lodge or hotel.

This is where I feel that the Spinfisher VI will be of benefit to me. I have not yet been able to use the reel, so usage feedback will follow at a later date.

Some pictures follow.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:41 am 
Fishaholic

Here are the promised pictures of the Spinfisher VI.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:43 am 
Fishaholic

Reel alone. I will most probably spool it with 30 lb braid, for Barramundi and light ocean/estuary
fishing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:00 am 
Fishaholic

If the sale offer is renewed at a later date, I am sorely tempted to pick up a size 6500 Spinfisher VI,
which will be dedicated to shore fishing only.

Also, it will be nice if any other anglers who have this reel could give us some feedback.

Kingfish