->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Shimano Nasci reels
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:21 pm 
Fishaholic

For quite some time, if an Angler wanted a light fishing reel then he had to either purchase a cheap
model of a name brand reel which had a plastic body and shoddy gears in order to cut costs.

His other option was to fork out some serious money and purchase a reel such as the Shimano
Stradic CI4+, which had a strong nonmetallic body with excellent gearing . This reel would retail for some A$ 250/- plus.

Luckily, Shimano has seen that there is a demand for a quality nonmetal reel with good internals which suits anglers who want a lightweight reel which can be cast all day long without tiring the arms or hands AND does not cost too much.

This reel is the Shimano NASCI, which has been on the market for a couple of years now and received positive reviews.

It is on sale in Australia for $ 104/-.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Tue May 14, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Shimano Nasci reels
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm 
Fishaholic

I have just bought two NASCI models, a size 3000 and a 5000.

The smaller size will be used for river/lake fishing for trout and lighter estuary fishing for bream, flathead and tailor.

The larger 5000 size will be used for inshore fishing for snapper, Mangrove Jacks and also for catching
queenfish and Barramundi.

Both reels have been attached to some light but strong rods ( such as the Uglystik Elite) and these
combine to form a very light but strong combination ..... a joy to cast with for hours.

The Nasci reel is very smooth to use and it has sealing to keep out water if splashed accidentally on the reel, using " Coreprotect" material which sheds water.

The reels have powerful drags with the 3000 size putting out 9 kilos and the 5000 size with 11 kilos!

Strong metal gears are used by Shimano (Hagane gears) as well as various features from other Shimano reels (X ship).

All in all, a sharp package at a sharp price.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Tue May 14, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Some pictures of the 3000 reel and packaging, giving more technical details.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Ditto for the 5000 size Nasci....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

By the way, the Nasci reels are readily compatible with braid line although the packaging does not list the
braid capacity.

I will get these and post later.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Braid capacity using Powerpro braid line is :

Nasci 3000 ..... 10lb/200 yards

Nasci 5000 ..... 20lb/220 yards

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

Hope you guys tape your braid to the spool, I used to tie the knot and tape over, now I use electrical tape over the spool before I tie the knot.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

One of my friend uses Nasci to catch MJ, Barramundi and small GTs. He is using it for few years and is working flawlessly.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Good point there about using tape on the arbor so the line does not slip. I use tape or sometimes a few turns of mono line and then join the braid to it with a double Uni knot.

By the way, the Nasci reels are made in Malaysia for Shimano.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed May 15, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

What size Nasci is your friend using?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

A slight issue that I have with the Nasci 3000.

The line lay was uneven when I first filled the reel, necessitating several attempts involving adding
and subtracting the provided extra shims until I was somewhat satisfied.

Hope this does not happen with the 5000 size Nasci.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 am 
Fishaholic

Made in Malaysia is good :). You will always find a dud in a bunch now and then that gets past quality control. I once saw a Shimano Stella when they just came out that had a fault where the bail came in contact with the handle and a certain point, they briefly kissed and parted. This was when the Stella just came out, one of the first few reels. It was in my friends shop in Hong Kong brand new out of the box.

I have not had good experiences with Shimano over the years, they did not bother to respond to my after sales inquiries on my Tiagras I still use the reel with a damaged screw in the reel seat.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:02 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Venkat,

What size Nasci is your friend using?

Kingfish

It is the 5000 sized reel, the old model.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:58 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Venkat.

It is reassuring that the older model NASCI performs well ..... hopefully the newer version should
hold up better, being sealed against water.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:13 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Just wondered whether most anglers fill their entire spool with braid?

I am veering around to the idea that it may be better to topshot the reel with the 150 meter readymade braid offerings, loading the reel first with mono line to the level required to accommodate the entire braid length.

This may take some trial and error but should become easier with practice.

The advantage is that it is cheaper to do so than putting on 300 meter of braid to fill the spool. It is usually the top 100 meters or so of the line that is used most often in fishing sessions when casting from a boat or the river /lake banks. The braid underneath is hardly utilised and thus wasted ..... it is of use only when reversed.

A strong running fish in these situations can be played and landed using the 150 meter topshot braid
and you do have the mono backing to utilise if the fish takes more line.

The exception to the above would be when shore fishing, where long casts would eat up almost 100m of line, leaving very little braid in reserve if a GT or hard running threadfin were to be hooked.

Also, the larger trolling reels may take a lot of braided line to fill. Here, a lot of anglers advocate using mono line only as they feel that because braid does not stretch, it rips the lure out of a fish's mouth
at trolling speeds whereas mono has give in it and thus hook up better.

Thoughts appreciated.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

I know of people who put a backing of sorts on their reel and then tie the braid, but I don't know anyone directly who does this. I have not done this either but the thought did cross my mind, the thing that came to me is, as I always break off a bit of my line before I start fishing (as do most I guess) in a set up like you described, would you not loose more line when your braid shortened and perhaps make it self defeating, unless you want to add new braid with another knot. So maybe it would be better fill the spool with braid and as it lessens out reverse the ends and use a backing, so you get the new end that was at the bottom of your spool now at the top.

I fill my spool quite high with braid as it does not have a memory like mono and so no birds nest.

You will rarely catch a GT in open water, when they take, they dive for cover and try to rub off the lure on some structure, so you want to stop them with a good reel and strong line, so your setup may just work with GT's. With a large threadfin it may be another story as they can run, and as you loose line on your spool the drag pressure will increase putting pressure on the knot, but a good FG knot should work. Having said this the largest GT I ever caught was in open water :).

I have mono on all my large trolling reel, I had braid on one 50lb Tiagra, but took it off as the braid started to snap well below the breaking strength. I test all my line on those large reels with a scale before I go fishing with them. Having said this maybe all of them need their line replaced as I have not used them in years now since the anti-social elements attack in Mumbai.

Regards,
Bobby

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for your views, Bobby.

I usually have a long leader at the end of my braid and it gets checked regularly for any
nicks and chafes when fishing. If any found, the leader is changed.

The leader thus protects the braid to a large extent but there are occasions when the line may chafe or
weaken and has to be cut off when actually fishing...... it would then not matter if the entire spool is filled with braid or topshotted over backing, the braid will have to be cut and rejoined irrespective.

Your point of line reversal on a fully braid loaded spool is valid but the line can only be reversed if spare spools are carried on one's person. In practice, one has to return home after a fishing trip to do this.

Regards,
Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

I have several empty large reels where I can transfer the line to one, then another and then back to the reel of choice so that the ends switch. A spare spool would help.

Regards,
Bobby

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

Yes, that is the way to do it.
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I would like to know, why the the word "terrorists" change to "Anti Social Elements" on my post? Are we so sensitive that we cannot all a spade a spade?

Bobby

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish this is very good reel and in Goa there is a big demand for sedona,sahara, nasci as all three are almost same just a ball bearing and some protection difference the 5000xg size in either has a lot of takers, specially guys who are targeting Indian Salmon as we need high speed reels fishing from the beach, as without high speed reels the chances of getting bites are less, as soon as the jig ( 40gm, 60gm) hits the water it should start skipping on surface to mimic flying fish to get the salmon biting, i to did purchased the sedona 5000xg after a failed season of salmon fishing last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

You don't need a high speed reel to target Ravas or threadfin salmon, I caught most of mine on a GS9 which a 1:3.3 ratio, and we used spoons that were 50 - 80 grams. We also used lead weighted aluminium pipes to catch them too. You just wind a little faster....

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:20 pm 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr,

Hello there, nice to hear from you. It is heartening to know that the Nasci is so popular in Goa, along with similar offerings from Shimano.

It is strange, but the Nasci is selling cheaper than the other mentioned reels here, when it is on a special!

Sometimes, it is a sign that a newer model of a reel is about to be launched, so the stockists are busy clearing their inventory.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:30 am 
Fishaholic

@Bobby am sure you must have caught on GS9 when there were a lot of fish, ill explain to you the current scenario, as we are casting on the beach we are using jigs that weigh 40 to 60 gms or GT Ice cream lure most of the guys can do around 80mts cast and a very few do close to 100mts once the jig hits a water it sinks, and at 50% of distance that you have casted the jig can be seen skipping on the surface using 4:6:1 reel and 5:6:1 reel will start skipping the jig bit further so using 6:2:1 gear ratio reel we can start skipping the jigs on the surface at 80% of distance that we cast increasing the chances of getting better bites and everyone is spinning the reel as fast as the can, just high gear ratio is added advantage.
@Kingfish nasci is the most expensive from the lot if you check amazon.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:01 am 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

In Australia, the Nasci 5000XG is on sale at A$104/-, delivered to home address.

The Sedona at A$89/-is cheaper than the Nasci here as well but the more comparable 5000 size Sahara is more expensive at A$169/-.So it is a given that one would opt for the Nasci. More bang for the buck.

Pity you can't order it from Australia!

Regards,
Kingfish

P.S. You are up late, posting at 1:30 am IST !!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:11 am 
Fishaholic

I finally now got some time to fish after a while. Just moved back to US a couple weeks back after about a year in India.
I have a few of Shimano Nasci reels and they don't look as good as yours. I think they maybe the older generation one which was a shade of blue.
They are decent, I had a 1000, 2500 and a 4000 and used the 1000 size one for most of freshwater perch, trout and sunfish and the occasional bass. The 2500 failed on me when I was catching some king salmon, the handle bent on it. But I think the reel was a bit light for the king salmon in heavy current.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Binu,

I used a Shimano Stradic 5500 (older model) to catch king salmon at the Fraser River near Vancouver, Canada .... one is fighting a large and powerful fish as well as a raging current and I lost the fish as I just could not budge it in the current, the line broke off.

I believe the present model Nasci 4000 would have the guts to tackle such king salmon, as it has solid gearing and a very powerful drag. However, the handle on the new model still looks weak.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 pm 
Fishaholic

For the price and better protection against elements, I would choose a NASCI instead of a Daiwa BG. A NASCI 5000XG is currently priced at ~100USD at several franchise tackle stores and a no-brainer to me. Great to see so much interest here for the reel, I might just buy one for the heck of it. LOL!