->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:22 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:24 pm 

Hi guys, I am from Kerala. I am looking for some suggestions on a good rod and reel that matches the following requirements.
- I will be mostly fishing in saltwater (Munambam estuary)
- I would like to have a rod capacity of 10kg max (Not expecting fishes that much big, but I've seen people catching 5kg+ fish here, so just want to make sure my rod or reel won't break
- I will occasionally do river fishing as well

Please suggest a rod and reel that matches the above requirements and is in the range of 3-4k.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

I see that Shakespeare WILD CAT 8ft Spinning Rod has a capacity of 12-25 lbs. Is that a good option for me?

Note: Currently I have a budget Rod+Reel combo that has capacity of max 2.25lbs. (Caught some good amount of fish that are less than 1kg)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 am 
Fishaholic

@Keralan

You don't need a heavy rod for estuary fishing .... go lighter and it may be lighter on your wallet also.

A 6-8 kilo rod with a size 4000 reel should suffice. I don't know how much this will cost in India but you should be able to get something suitable at the Indian Angler shop.

The rule of 3 states that on an 8 kilo line one can catch a 24 kilo fish, all things being equal. You have to let the fish fight the rod and the drag, not horse it in and lift it out.

Hope this helps,

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm 

Thanks Kingfish for taking time to answer this question. I bought Abu Garcia Bruiser (combo) that says 25 pounds and will be using it on a 25mm braided line (currently using a 17lbs mono.

kingfish wrote:
@Keralan

The rule of 3 states that on an 8 kilo line one can catch a 24 kilo fish, all things being equal.

Kingfish

I would love to hear more about this. Do you have a link or something to read more?

Thank you so much!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm 
Fishaholic

See my article in this Forum with the title "Rule of 3" dated 13 Oct. 2014 in Bait & Tackle.

Glad you bought your outfit, good luck with your fishing.

Kingfish