->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Sad story.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:05 pm 
Fishaholic

On my recent trip to Goa with a chartered boat, the guide told me a sad story that should serve as a warning to all those who go out in a boat.

One of his longtime fishing friends took out out his boat, along with two other persons, to cast for some GTs near a reef within a few hundred yards of Dona Paula jetty.

They were carrying only one life jacket between the 3 of them.

As luck would have it, a rogue wave swamped their boat and only one of them had the presence of mind to grab the life jacket.

He survived, the guide's friend and the other angler drowned.

It may never happen to you but having an individual life jacket is good insurance. I have one for myself and one for the wife, which we carry with us whenever we embark on a boat in India.

Please look after yourself and your loved ones.Stay safe.

Kingfish

Post subject: Re: Sad story.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am 
Fishaholic

Well the last trip I made was the only one where I went onto a boat without my personal Life Jacket, this was because I could not stop over at my place to pick it up. But we made sure the boatman had carried enough. Good Point Made King fish, it is vital especially in India where in a lot of places carrying any kind of flotation device on a fishing boat is scorned upon as bad luck. You need it for that one time when the unexpected happens...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Bobby,

You will be surprised to know how prevalent is the happy go lucky attitude towards wearing life jackets in countries such as Australia.

People regularly drown because of their macho attitudes i.e. it is considered sissy to wear a life jacket by them and others.

In some countries, there is legislation to make wearing life jackets compulsory but even this cannot be enforced due to lack of manpower.

The only way is to educate people by example, I suppose.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 am 
Fishaholic

I am sure there is this attitude in Australia, I am not surprised at all, I have a lot of Aussie friends. just because it is a developed country does not make certain rednecks any more educated than the Indian villager I was referring to who shun the use of safety gear on their boats...I am sure the applies to other countries too. And I would like to add for good measure, the only reason I probably carry my lifejacket inshore when trolling is because I do not know how to swim :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

That is sad Kingfish! It is sad that people ignore things until it is too late.

I was on the west coast a couple of weekends ago and made sure I wore a life vest when I was "commuting" in a boat.

I slipped and fell on the rocks once as I wasn't wearing korkers as I didn't have any boots to wear my korkers with.
My girlfriend was with me and was very concerned about me on the edge of the rocks near deep/rough water.
She bought me a life jacket yesterday and I will be wearing the same where/when required on my future trips.
Now that I have a life jacket, I am planning to do a little bit of night fishing (may have to look into a helmet as well)

That being said, I am planning to carry a whistle on me at all times when I am on or near the water and also while trekking.

Stay safe to fish another day my dear fellow fishermen!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu,

You have a very sensible girlfriend!

I would suggest you wear the life jacket, carry a whistle and a FLASHLIGHT especially if night fishing.
A headlamp will be fine.

Kingfish

P.S. Congratulations on reaching 1000 posts, may you write many more!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Marathu,

A helmet as you suggested may be a good Idea when fishing from the rocks especially at night especially where the water is rough, I would recommend you do so. The ones they use for white water rafting may be ideal...

Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Maruthu,

You have a very sensible girlfriend!

I would suggest you wear the life jacket, carry a whistle and a FLASHLIGHT especially if night fishing.
A headlamp will be fine.

Kingfish

P.S. Congratulations on reaching 1000 posts, may you write many more!

Thank you Kingfish! These days I carry my head lamp and flashlight at all times even during the day.
I have in the past forgotten my head lamp when I went fishing in the evening and realized that after dark.

Bobby wrote:
Hi Marathu,

A helmet as you suggested may be a good Idea when fishing from the rocks especially at night especially where the water is rough, I would recommend you do so. The ones they use for white water rafting may be ideal...

Bobby

Thank you Bobby! I checked them out and they seem to fit the requirement.
However, I may only be able to afford to buy one after a couple of months or so.

Cheers!
Maruthu