->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:31 am 

hello everyone ,
I have been trying to find info about modding lures with single hook / circle hook to use in rocky terrain.
Is anyone here using circle hooks on any of their lures ?..... any tips / hints / info / pics will be hugely appreciated. [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:30 am 
Fishaholic

I have not used circle hooks as replacements on lures but it is an interesting idea, in order to avoid snagging on underwater obstacles.

With replacement single hooks, one has to ensure that the inherent balance is maintained for the lure to run properly. In my experience, single hooks will not prevent lure hang ups.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 am 

Thanks for the prompt reply Kingfish .Over the next few weeks i am hoping to try/test some lures with circles on them. In the last few sessions i have swapped out trebles on the smaller lures i have with single hook ( below 30 grms +spoons) with moderate success.Crimped barbs on the hooks do wonders for confidence regarding rocky fishing terrain ( sticks a lot less to the rocks compared to trebles )
As long as the weights match ie: old treble = new single + double split rings ( for orientation of hook) the lure runs as it always used to.
However i have had no luck with replacing trebles with circles so was wondering if i was missing something.
fingers crossed , some of the forum ole timers might shed some more light on this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:01 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Websinner,

I have started to use circle hooks on soft lures for trolling and drift trolling, I am sure you can use this lure for spinning as well. See the picture below of how it is set up, the hook is tied to the leader, and the hook is wrapped into the eve of the lure by a very small zip-tie. It is a simple, effective and fast lure to set up.

Good Luck,

Bobby

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

There are some inline single hooks some lures come with these days, but they are not 100% circle hooks.
I fish a lot in rocky areas I am comfortable with the trebles when it comes to snagging the lure in the rocks.
I sometimes drag my lure on the rocks with trebles and they don't snag, but I won't do that with single hooks.

All that being said, circle hooks might be a whole different story compared to those regular single hooks. Just my thought....

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:58 pm 

hi Bobby .
Nice to hear some1 is using circles on soft plastics.( any inputs on setting of hook with circles?....i have done some bait fishing with circles last few sessions just to get an idea of how it works but still learning....)
I came across this type of rigging called as a Coon Pop Rig... used for tarpon...
i have re-rigged some of my soft plastics this way and will be trying it out over the next few days( landbased) ...
also came across Hogy lures with circles .....circle hook with a wire screw looped on the bend ( instead of a ziptie)
soft pastic is screwed onto this and its good to go .....if using add on sliding weights carolina rigging is much better than texas.
i plan to try out these new styles and appreciate the much needed inputs . will post a summary on which works / didnt work once i am back from my trip. [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 pm 

HI Maruthu.
Nice to hear from you .......i am keen to get all info about circles on lures and what people who are using them have to say
btw...could you plz shed some light on this comment..
"" I sometimes drag my lure on the rocks with trebles and they don't snag, but I won't do that with single hooks.::''
so ur saying lures with singles stick to rocks better than if they had trebles ??? ( crimped barbs on singles i found help)
I have really enjoyed your informative vids on youtube and see that you use some metal lures (wedges) with singles on them ...
came across a circle hook mod for metals.. will be trying it out ....and will post an update later on here if it works!!!
thanks for ur input. [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:
HI Maruthu.
plz shed some light on this comment..
"" I sometimes drag my lure on the rocks with trebles and they don't snag, but I won't do that with single hooks.::''
so ur saying lures with singles stick to rocks better than if they had trebles ??? ( crimped barbs on singles i found help)

What Maruthu intended is, with treble there is less change of getting stuck to the rocks than compared to a single hook.
Because if a single hook gets stuck to the rock, mostly it is not going to come out. With a treble hook because of the three points
it will not get hold to the rocks that much like a single hook point.

Here is my view on the topic:
It is very difficult to snag a lure, unless there are some submerged items like net, cloth or debris (or) you allow the lure to drop between the crevices in the rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:37 pm 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:
HI Maruthu.
Nice to hear from you .......i am keen to get all info about circles on lures and what people who are using them have to say
btw...could you plz shed some light on this comment..
I have really enjoyed your informative vids on youtube and see that you use some metal lures (wedges) with singles on them ...
came across a circle hook mod for metals.. will be trying it out ....and will post an update later on here if it works!!!
thanks for ur input. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Venkatesan is spot on with what I was trying to say. Thank you Venkat!
Glad you like those fishing videos I post on Youtube! Thank you for watching :-)
I haven't fished metal lures since a long time and just started using them again....

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hi All,

My 2 cents....

The rig I have described is a Tarpon rig it is the same thing I believe, I picked it up from my Tarpon guide on my last trip to the US.

About 12 - 15 years ago when I had my reef tank i had tried to observe how hooks were set, i had to take out some damsels and clowns what were causing havoc with my corrals ans transfer them to another tank. I could not catch them with a fish net as there were too many corrals and live rock in the tank for them to hide so the only way was to angle them out. Besides I could not let them swallow the hook and had to get them in the lip. At that time, like you I was also curious how circle hooks worked. I baited small hooks with pieces of shrimp and caught them. What I observed what when I struck, the pressure on the and the resistance on the point cause the hook to tilt backwards and sometimes slip out of the fishes mouth so i bent the tip inwards the way the circle hook is (but not as much) this caused the point to find purchase as the hook tilted, also it tended to anchor slightly to the side of the mouth. Now I had the advantage of seeing the take and could strike at the perfect opportunity. When fishing in the wild the strike would get delayed and so as the fish turned and made a run with the bait in the mouth there would be little resistance so the circle hook would because of its design, cause the outside of where the tip bends inward to slide over the underside of the fishes mouth/lip as the pressure increases and anchor into the side of the mouth where the upper and lower jaws meet and as the pressure increases the point will bite, find purchase and penetrate, at least this I how i saw and understand it. I hope I have explained it well.

The other thing about fishing singles vs trebles on a hard lure, I have rarely fished with singles, and I fish in very rocky areas too as that is where fish will wait in ambush. Just like what Venky and Marathu said, the trebles will most of the time snag in algae/weeds, or soft debris like nets etc and occasionally on a barnacle. When your lure snags in a rock it is the nose or lip of the lure almost all the time. I don't have much experience with singles but I believe that the same rule will apply.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby!

After reading your post, I might try small circles with live shrimp if and when I get a chance.
I don't fish bait at all much, but will give it a shot and revert back on the forum on how it goes.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 am 

circle hook mods on lures that worked ...from 6th -12th oct

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

@websinner

It will be interesting to know why you decided to use circle hooks on the soft plastics /hardbodies.Was it
solely to avoid snagging on rocks?

Circle hooks are mainly used in baitfishing so that a fish which swallows the bait does not get hooked in the guts, as the circle hook slides through the mouth and hooks the fish in its lip on the side.

This saves trauma for the fish and enables it to survive better if released.

The mangrove jack, shown in your first picture above, demonstrates this lip hookup perfectly and it would survive easily if released back into the water.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:06 pm 

@ kingfish
I started the whole circle hooks on lures to minimize tackle losses , as i find it very painfull to lose a productive lure
also i found that bigger barra ( 3 kg ) plus tend to jump around a lot and spit out the lures ....esp more so with soft plastic baits ,
so i figured it would be harder to throw a lure/hook if it was circle vs trebles .. and so this circle hook mod journey began .
i also found out that u can strike at the fish when using semi circles with bait .....on circles striking is a bad idea....
my next trip i plan to use some semi-circle modded lures and see how it goes .
More trips are needed to figure out if circles make a diff in lure loss ...so far its too early to tell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 pm 

texas rigged semi circle hooks with bait .....strike ensures perfect hooking in corner of mouth almost always

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish you caught there Websinner! Please keep them coming....

When I was fishing a place on the East coast with my friends during Jan 2018 and we lost a lot of barracudas on poppers as we were not able to set the hook (with trebles). A popper rigged like the one you have in one of the picstures above might have done the trick. Never made it back there since then. May be next year....

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm 

thanks @ maruthu .
The popper rigged with circles works fine (no barras just snapper on it so far) .... tho i suspect i lost a couppla hits bcos i tried to set the hook outta habit , if u ever rig it this way its very imp to use 2 splitrings to orient the hook in the right dir .... front facing front and back facing back ( thats what i have read ) .... or else to use inline replacement hook ( next 2 impossible to find ) . will be trying out semi circle modded lures(10-30 grms) this full moon and some spoons + dexter wedges rigged with circles and singles.
[smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:
thanks @ maruthu .
The popper rigged with circles works fine (no barras just snapper on it so far) .... tho i suspect i lost a couppla hits bcos i tried to set the hook outta habit , if u ever rig it this way its very imp to use 2 splitrings to orient the hook in the right dir .... front facing front and back facing back ( thats what i have read ) .... or else to use inline replacement hook ( next 2 impossible to find ) . will be trying out semi circle modded lures(10-30 grms) this full moon and some spoons + dexter wedges rigged with circles and singles.
[smilie=coolup.gif]

Good luck with your next trip!

By the way pelagic Tribe has inline single hooks.
You can check with them to see if they can ship it to you though.

Cheers!
Maruthu